Did I damage my vehicle?

Please only answer if you know what you're talking about.

I have a 2020 Hyundai Accent, 6 speed manual.

The other day, I was driving about 5 mph, about to park, I pushed the clutch in, THOUGHT i shifted into neutral, and shut the engine off. I was rolling at about 3mph when I let the clutch out, still in 1st gear with the engine off. 

Again, I let the clutch out in 1st gear, with the engine off, while still rolling foward. 

The car jerked for a second and abruptly stopped. I started it up a few minutes later and drove away fine, but I'm wondering if I could have damaged my transmission/engine? or if it's probably fine. Thanks

• Mr.357

That is called engine braking.

You would not have damaged your car, what you did is a bump/roll or push start, basically if you have a manual trans car and your battery goes flat so you can not start the engine you can roll the car down a hill or have some people push the car while you hold the clutch in and usually in 2nd gear when you get to some speed you let the clutch out and the engine will start. if you kept doing this for quite some time then yes it will have wear on the trans and clutch.

• Phil M

That would not hurt anything. But if you were to do it all the time, it could eventually damage the drive train or clutch. Several people have mentioned bump, roll, or push starting. In theory they are correct. Except you don't start a vehicle using first gear. The engine has too much torque over the wheels in low gear and the drive wheels may just slide without turning the engine over. High gear gives the drive wheels torque over the engine.

• John

"please only answer if you know what your talking about"

those are shitbox cars. you should've left it there for the junk dealer. they might still pay you to haul it away for you.

your problems? dont care.

As long as it started and drove, it's probably fine.

I've got a 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback 6-Speed manual, and I regularly pull into parking spots in first gear with the clutch out and just let it die before turning it off (purely for my own amusement).

Cars can take a surprising amount of abuse - but as with most things, you could take two cars of off the lot one right after the other and one will run indefinitely with minimal routine maintenance (oil changes, filters, etc.) even when abused, while the other will break every time you look at it wrong even if you baby it.

NO

"Fuuck!!."  You don't know schit do you?  When your starter motor goes out.  It will someday if you been driving over 30+years, or the battery is too run down to turn the starter motor over but still gives you dash lights(or ignition) then you get a buddy and get the car rolling down the road at 3 MPH and then you jump in. Depress the clutch and stick it in second gear and let go of the clutch before the car stops rolling (so the transmission turns over the engine). the car starts. Depress the clutch pedal and rev the engine like it is in neutral. Now you can drive home while the engine is running..as either the starter has gone out or the battery is weak.  Or you are gonna sit out int the sticks for a day or 2.

Find a hilly part of your town and go to the top of the hill and shut off the car. Stopped. Now put the car in neutral and leave the parking brake off.  Now aim the car downhill. You do not want followers so find a dead road.  I can think of a dozen+ roads IMMEDIATELY IN MY TOWN that is a hill and devoid of much traffic.

You will find with the motor not running, there is no POWER ASSIST STEERING OR POWERBRAKES.     You still got arm strong steering and brakes if you really stomp on the brake pedal...it eventually happens.

But for that short roll, I am thinking 2 car lengths you will need neither.  With the ignition key showing the dash lights you are in IGNITION STAGE.    Now to turn over the motor.  That is done by the tires on the ground turning over the clutch and the engine catches.  You quickly stomp in the clutch pedal as the engine roars to life and power brakes and steering are normal.  Then shift into first and drive away.

No harm, no foul. Nothing.  This will not work if the road were snow and ice and you got summer tires.

Never use first because that is too LOW a gear...so the rear wheels skid instead of turn over.

Now you know how to start the car when something unforeseen happens.

. You need a battery to get the ignition lights and the alternator EXCITED. so it charges.  After that, it can be the weakest battery but there is no guarantee that you will always have a hill nearby or an extra body to push the car.

35+years auto mechanic.

• Ron

you did not shut the engine off while it was moving, troll again

As an ex mechanic I can assure you that the chance you did any damage is near 0 and if the car ran fine afterwards it is 0.

WTF are you doing turning the motor off while the vehicle is still moving? Learn to fricken drive dude.

No, it's fine. That's akin to what happens when people bump start cars.  Not a problem. Don't make a habit of it, though!