Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 2 months ago

Can someone put their baby up for adoption without father’s consent? ?

If a woman was pregnant and didn’t want the baby plans to give up the baby for adoption, would she be able to if the father doesn’t want to give up the baby? 

Or would the baby be given to the father since mother doesn’t want it? Would it make a difference if the two parents were only 18? 

Also in this case, would the mother still be required to pay child support since the father refuses to give up the baby? Idk if it depends on the state but this is happening to a friend of mine in California if that helps get a clearer answer

3 Answers

  • Isabel
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

    That varies by state.

  • edward
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    The father could adopt the baby...simple.  Although thinking it’s not adoption

  • 2 months ago

    No, the father's parental rights need to be terminated.

    He can do that voluntarily, or the court can terminate his rights if he is found to be an unfit parent (abusive, etc.)

    Your friend should *not* terminate her parental rights unless the father's parental rights have been terminated first if she is afraid of the child going to him due to his violent or otherwise unsafe behavior.

    If he is not a violent or unsafe person, yes, if she terminates her parental rights, the child will go to him if he wants to raise the child, and she will owe child support.

    Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.