Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 2 months ago

Was the Daily Mail a more serious newspaper in the 70s and 80s, or was it just as bad back then too?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

have your meds changed?

nazi supporting far right dailyfail was never a serious newspaper, it was always fake news.  

dailyfail reviews on shows, books or even the weather were fake, it gave conmen and liars a bad name

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It was characterised as being 'for the wives of the people who run the country' in the series Yes Prime Minister, although (I heard it from Mrs Gavin Lyall long before that).  Which is to say not very serious.

• 2 months ago

It was bad then too.

• 2 months ago

What readers of such papers don't realise is that they settle defamation claims every day paying about £3,000 for each one but the sales top that so it's worth just telling lies.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Half a dozen people on this site who say the same boring things about the DM, yet it is still the best selling  newspaper in the UK. The thoughts of the minority on here do not seem to affect the circulation figures.

• 2 months ago

Gotta wrap your fish in something.

• Jas B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

This is a paper that praised the rise of Fascism in the 1930's and 40's. They supported Thatcher when she called Nelson Mandela and the ANC terrorists, not forgetting there decades of lies and attacks of immigrants.  They also love to out companies who do not pay British taxes, while at the same time having their head office offshore so they don't have to pay taxes on what they earn in the UK.

When I was young back in the 1970's I used to buy the Guardian and take it to work to read at lunchtime, I found I was only reading a tiny amount so one morning I though a broadsheet would be better, so I bought the Daily Mail, after about ten minutes I found myself tearing it to shreds and declaring I would never buy it again.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Compared to the Mirror and Sun, it is high class.

• 2 months ago

...it does successfully what the Guardie tries, and fails, to do time and time again.

It wins elections.

So it"s shite in the same way that Real Madrid are shite at football.  

• 2 months ago

The Daily Mail supported Hitler and Moseley’s blackshirts in the 1930s. It had kept a steady line since then.

This patriotic newspaper is owned by a group whose chairman is Viscount Rothermere. He had an estimated wealth of £1bn but has non-dom status so does not pay U.K. tax. Its parent company, DMGT, operates through a series of offshore trusts which ensures that the Daily Mail technically makes no profit on U.K. sales, so pays no tax in U.K. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.