Would it be a good idea to ever attempt to call the present owner of my childhood home and ask them if they would be willing to sell?

I lived in the same house from the age of 2 1/2 to the age of 15. There are still a ton of memories attached to the house and the neighbourhood that I hold very dear to my heart. I sometimes have dreams about that house. I want to move back to my hometown in a couple of years. I would be happiest if my own children could grow up in the same house as I did, though at the moment I am not in a relationship and I have no kids. Now that I have made those confessions, I would like to know if I should at some point attempt to track down and call the owner, offering them some amount of money that is higher than what I remember that house being worth but my offer would be open to negotiation. I’ll give the owner whatever amount of money they desire as long as I can buy back the house that my heart still considers my own home (and yes my brain is totally aware that right now the house is no longer mine as my parents sold it when they split up). Should I ever give it a go, or should I just give that part of the dream up and buy another house in the area?

Try a letter. It would be more personal and there would be no hard feelings for asking if didn't didn't get a reply.(hint)

• L

All you can do is ask.  

There's no harm in trying and never sound desperate. They will up the price, be wise.

Go to zillow.com and type in your childhood address. There you will find the current real estate information on the house by checking the sale history and currenttaxes, plus what Zillow calls a zestimate, estimating the presentvalue of the home.

This will give you an idea of the home''s worth and allow you to decide if you can financially afford the house before ever approaching the current owners.

I see nothing wrong with sending the owners a card/letter with your desire to once again occupy your childhood home if they would consider selling in the near future.

Make zero mention of money, only that you have such fond memories and wondered if it would be possible to have the house back in your family one day.

Good luck

Definitely approach the present owners and tell them you would be willing to buy it if they ever decide to sell. 

Do not tell them you will pay whatever they want though, because they will put the price up. Keep a eye on prices in that area so you know exactly how much it is worth when they decide to sell. Make sure they have your contact information. 

You have nothing to lose by asking the current owners if they are prepared to sell, but are you in a position to buy?

I am not in a relationship and I have no kids - ok. That doesn't stop you buying a house though

I would like to know if I should at some point attempt to track down and call the owner - you have nothing to lose. But 'tracking down the current owner', well that won't be too hard, given that they are likely living in the house you want.

offering them some amount of money that is higher than what I remember that house being worth - doesn't work like that. The current owner will no doubt name his price, knowing you want it, and if he is prepared to sell at market value, then the house will be professionally valued.

but my offer would be open to negotiation - oh, thats very big if you!

I’ll give the owner whatever amount of money they desire as long as I can buy back the house  - ok. You realise that you best save a HUGE deposit then, as your mortgage lender will only loan you what they think the house is worth, not the inflated price they owner is selling it at. 

Should I ever give it a go, or should I just give that part of the dream up and buy another house in the area? - worth a try, but you need to all yourself, can you afford to buy the house or not.

If not, look at cheaper houses in the area.

What makes more sense is to identify a realtor who lists properties in the area of your childhood home. That realtor, with no emotional investment, can approach the present owners explaining that they have a person interested in buying the house and asking if they would accept a walk-through to determine a realistic asking price, accompanied by a second realtor of their choosing to keep things fair--which their client would beat by a minimum of X percent.

It's entirely possible they won't want to sell at any price, but you never know who's been considering a move if only they had proper motivation.

• JASON

If I ever win the lottery, that's what I plan to do with my childhood home. Whenever I dream about my parents, it's usually set in that house. I remember how many of the plants were, and would put the old fashioned sash windows back in too, and knock down all the garages they've built.