San
San asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Are these sentences both correct?

A. We ate cookies afterward.

B. Afterward, we ate cookies.

Thanks!

They are both grammatically correct insofar as English grammar is concerned. But spoken English like many other languages has a large component of idioms. As to idiomatic usage, I would vote for the first one. It might even require some addition of context such as: When we finished eating our dinner, we had cookies.

Except that the word is afterwords, yes.

YES, they are both correct in American English

[read below], even so, in my opinion the second one is slightly more literary.

This means that in a conversation I’d use the first sentence (it sounds better), instead, if you are writing an essay, the second sentence is perfectly fine, even better.

_____________________________

Biscuits (🇬🇧) • Cookies (🇺🇸)

Afterwards (🇬🇧) • Afterward (🇺🇸)

Source(s): I hope I’ve helped you!
  • audrey

Both are perfectly correct.

Yes, and they both mean the same thing, but in both cases it should be 'afterwards'.

If you want “American English” both are fine. In the UK we’d use “afterwards” instead of “afterward”.