Gabita asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

First time flight?

Okay so I just found out sometimes passagers are randomly selected for a pat down. I never flew before so that makes me a bit uncomfortable. I mean, I am not a criminal. But isn't there a way I can make such an event more comfortable?

Before the day of your departure, create a fantasy in your head about being "patted down" - might actually make you WANT one

There's nothing "uncomfortable" about it. If they decide to do it an officer will simply run their hands lightly down your body (you remain fully clothed!) or wave an electronic wand around the area that perhaps alerted them.

I've had this happen to me a dozen times, always because of the underwiring in my bra. They ask me to step aside (so the next people can keep on coming through - it's not as if the entire place comes to a halt and everyone stares at you) then they wave the electronic wand around, nod, say 'OK, thanks" and wave you on. That's it - maybe 15 seconds max.

The only times I've had that happen were when something I was wearing set off the machine (it was a barrette in my hair once) or something looked strange on the scanner. They don't do it randomly- not in the US, anyway. Take off all jewelry before you go through security.  Wear light clothing, don't have anything in your pockets or anything that might block the scanner. If you're female, they will have a woman pat your down or run a wand around your body. It's really not a big deal. 

I get a quick pat down about once a year and I fly a lot. If you don't want to do it out in the open, you can request a private screening area.   

Any pat downs are really fast they just run the backs of their hands down your sides essentially. Really nothing to it. It’s not common, but my husband has a pacemaker so gets them all the time, they are quick. You really are not uncomfortable at all

I have never heard of this happening, nor have I experienced it. Where did you get your information? I wouldn't worry about this. 

• martin

Just go along with it and pretend your favorite uncle is tickling you.