Will expired lavender seeds still grow? ?

So I found a growing kit for lavender and I want to start growing it, but the problem is that it says the seeds expired Yr. end 2019. Is it worth trying? The kit came with soil, a pot, and instructions. 

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Give the seeds a germination test and only use the ones that germinated.

Place a folded paper towel or paper napkin in a lunch size plate. Saturate it with water. Scatter seeds over it. Cover with another wet paper towel or napkin. You want to create a moist environment for germination, not a seed bath with too much water.

All the while, do not allow the paper towel or napkins to dry out. I keep mine on the counter top as not to  forget about them and to be sure they do not dry out.

I have used seeds that were 8 years old and this germination method worked like a charm. Sure, some did not germinate, but those that did, grew beautifully.

Within a week or more, the viable seeds will germinate. Plant in soil. Enjoy.

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It seeds are stored in proper conditions there will remain viable for many years.

• ron h
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You have nothing to lose and you'll know in a couple of weeks.

• J de H
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Hay una prueba sencilla que se realiza para ver si se encuentran fértiles. Se llena un recipiente con agua puede ser un frasco o un vaso y se colocan las semillas y se las deja reposar un rato al cabo de cierto tiempo las que se fueron al fondo del recipiente son fértiles.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

definately grow them

• 1 month ago

They probably will. That "expiration' date is only when the seeds are at their best, not when they are no longer viable. Chances are very good they will grow. But be very patient. Lavender takes a long time to germinate. And it likes full sun and warm soil. 

• 1 month ago

No harm in trying, I haven't tried lavender, but I've grown various expired seeds over the years. Right now I have summer savory sprouting that expired 11 years ago.

• 1 month ago

Oh for god's sake, yes. There is no clock in the seeds that shuts them off on Dec 31, 2019.

• Faith
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

We've used expired seeds and had no issues but no one can promise you they will grow. I'd say plant them and see what happens. 

• 1 month ago

It's hard enough to grow nonexpired lavender seeds, but maybe you'll be good at it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.