How do I tell my child I can't afford to send her to college?

My daughter is high honors high School 16 year old. She wants to go to college so bad. I don't have a penny to give her the college. What can she do to go to college if we have no money to give her? it's already so expensive most people probably can't afford it anyway

"I cannot pay your way through college"  is a good way

If she is a honor student she should get scholarships 

------------

some advice 

do not  borrow money for school 

if you are poor the sad fact starts with DEFINE POOR 

but most people who say I am poor, actually made bad decisions in their life, borrowing money is one of them

do not encourage your child to borrow for any reason 

a good high school economics based education might teach that .  but on the other hand I see little proof in the world of that has been happening 

there is no such thing as good debt

many people with 4 year college degrees never get good paying jobs - yet have the debt to pay 

it is not how much you make but how you spend what you make or better yet NOT SPEND 

local college is low cost and she can live at home ,, most of college cost in living expense not the school it's self unless you foolishly choose a overly expensive school 

that is another bad choice as most of them are that cost money 

----------------

you say she wants to go to college so bad,, well life is full of things we want to do... does not make them necessities

reality check is really a good lesson ,, for you and her 

there are many things in life we all wanted to do and never had the means 

she is just another one of us 

This seems rather whiny, Beth F.  If your daughter is really an Honors student in high school, she should look into doing a dual-credit program like my granddaughter did, where she takes college courses at a local college and gets credits for her high school diploma and for college at the same time.  Also look up PELL GRANT.

Tell her to get off her butt and get a part time job, or here's a novel idea... Tell her to study hard and actually get the grades needed to get into whichever college she wants to get into. 

You can apply for government loan. Telling her to get some work experience may be beneficial to future job hunting.

• KTJoe

Lots of money for college for honor students, any student. Parent meet with high school counselor about financial aid and other resources for college . See website .  https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/grants

• kim

Financial aid department. Call them. Every college has an office of financial aid. 

There are a lot of ways to find college funding. You have to do some research. But first, you DO have to explain that if she wants to attend college, this is the route you will have to pursue, because you can't pay out of pocket. 

I urge you to get a book from your local library or bookstore called Barron's Four Year Colleges and Universities. This book details what every college in the US costs, what financial aid they offer, and where you might be able to get educations at lower or reduced costs. There is a wealth of information in the book you NEED to know. 

For instance:  Berea College in Kentucky costs only about $600 a year to attend if you can gain admission. They are fully funded by donors, grants and endowments. The education is top-notch and it's almost completely PAID for by student employment, financial aid, and the endowments. Students are required to live on campus.  A four-year degree from Berea ensures the student graduates without debt. Details are available in the book, or on the college website. These are just some of the types of information you don't know yet, and you need to find out. 

Start looking around. 

• drip

Most parents can not afford full tuition and room and board.

She can apply for financial aid and she what she gets. If her GPA is high, she could possibly an academic scholarship. If your family Income is low she can apply for a Pell Grant. 

My daughter got into the Honor College at her university and automatically got a half tuition scholarship for four years. 

She can also work. Many universities have jobs on campus and some offer work study programs,

She can go to a community college first.  She should apply to universities first and see what happens before committing to a CC. She should apply to 3-6 schools. She may be able to fee waivers from her HS counselor. 

You And your daughter can also do your own research. Go to the public library and ask a research librarian to help you find information on college. There is info on financial aid, how to apply, really all aspects.

She should start researching colleges right now. If possible visit the schools. I highly recommend it. It makes a world of difference to visit the school.  Get a meeting with admissions and take a tour of the school. Eat the dining hall. 

• DON W

The message should be honest, but hopeful.  "I can't help with the cost, but we're going to apply for every source of financial aid we can, because you, young lady, are smart and deserve to go to college".  There is lots and lots of financial aid available, including government grants, loans, academic scholarships, scholarships based on financial needs, state grants, lower-priced community colleges--the list goes on and on.

• Ann

We can't afford to send our son to college any more than our parents could afford to send us. Yet, all 3 of us in my family went to college and 2 out of my husband's 4 brothers went to college--the other two didn't want to go. He's going to qualify for some scholarships because he's so much smarter than I was. My grandmother left some money in her will for me so she paid for the first two years of undergrad school. I paid for the rest and my Master's with student loans. My husband did the same. Both of us have paid off all those loans a long time ago. Your daughter can do the same.