Should I buy better resolutions or better Hz monitor for gaming?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

You don't need to purchase monitor. It depends on GPU. Replace your GPU.

• 5 months ago

It all depends on what gpu you are using and what type of games you are playing if you are using a realy high end gpu and you want the best visual graphics then you would be better of getting a monitor with high res and high hz but bearing in mind if your gpu is only running at about 60 fps while gaming then to choose a monitor with a far more highend hz would technically just be pointless and a waste of money because you wouldn't be hitting a high enough fps to fully take advantage of a higher hz monitor 

• 5 months ago

I really like the answer from P..... it's a good one.

No one can answer that question unless you list the specs of your PC and what type of games you play. 

For example, one of my PC's had an older Core i7-4930k and a GTX 1080ti and it was really good for 4k (2160p) gaming but it wasn't great for keeping framerates above 120fps. 

I know of a kid who worked a summer job back in 2017 and he saved most of what he made. He decided to spoil himself with an Acer 1080p/144hz monitor. The only problem was the PC he was using had a Core 2 Quad CPU and a GTX 670 Graphics card. Once he figured out that his PC wouldn't cut it for high FPS gaming, he went out and bought a prebuilt Cyberpower PC.

The last little tidbit I'd like to add..... if you're planning to use the monitor with a Gaming console like the upcoming PS5, then go for a higher resolution monitor. Consoles rarely push games beyond 45fps.

There are some rumors that the PS5 can support 2160p at 120hz, but there is no way the hardware that's being used in the PS5 is capable of pushing that kind of framerate, even at a low setting.

• Lv 7
    5 months ago

you should get a dedicated graphics card, and not an Intel intefrated one.

that is one thing you cannot add or change later.

for gaming, you really. eed dedicated graphics.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • opurt
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

First question is what can your video card support. There's no point in a monitor can do things that your PC can't feed into it.

• P
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It comes down to personal preference and the types of games you play.   FPS junkies that play a lot of first person shooters like overwatch or fortnite will tend to prefer higher hz to actually be able to display the higher frame rates.  General gamers tend to prefer higher resolutions to get the best quality image.   Also be mindful to get the most out of a 2k or 4k monitor it should be at least 27 inches in my experience otherwise they tend to feel too small for the resolution.    Additionally it comes down to what type of graphics card you have.  Don't try to hook up a 4k monitor to a budget graphics card. You will need the equivalent of a 2070 RTX or better for 4k to get a playable frame rate.  Most experienced gamers will find that a 144hz 2k monitor will hit the frame-rate\resolution sweet spot more than a 4k or standard HD monitor.   If you have a budget graphics card you might as well go for a 1080p 144hz since you will only frustrate yourself with the higher resolutions. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.