What brand of rear differential should I go for?

I'm learning as I go. I am fixing up a 2003 Ford f250 Super Duty and am going to replace the diff cover because of rust.

I am just going to use the truck to haul a horse trailer on the weekends and it probably won’t be going anywhere that my horse trailer can't go. So, it will primarily be on interstate, serviced, gravel, and dirt roads, and I'll have my horse behind it so I'm not planning on doing anything crazier then hitting a couple potholes.

I'll need a 10.5 cover. I've mostly been looking at Rancho and Dynatrac but they are both over $170, and I have no idea which is better. Is a brand like that over kill for what I will be doing? Or can I get a Droman for $50 and seal it well and not have to worry about any problems?

I'm hoping to not completely break the bank, but I don't want to worry about having trouble while I've got my horses in the back.

• Dan

If it's not leaking just wire brush it and spray paint it on the truck. Dorman products are garbage and the others are a waste of money.

Get one from a junkyard.  Put a brand new OEM gasket.

• Bill

Get the inexpensive one. The lubricant you put back in will be much more important than the cover.