I believe a black character can play a white character part.?

Personally I’d cast loads of people who are from all ethnicities to play different parts. Ethnicity doesn’t matter. Looks and to play the part does. Not height. No such thing as tall dark and handsome. Everyone should have a go to play the part they want. 

• Verity

Many year ago ,I saw a back actor as Petruchio in a production of "The Taming

of the Shrew".  He was wonderful.  

You seem to be assuming that all roles are written for "white" actors.  That isn't the case.  Roles are written and depending on where the play is performed the cast may be all black or asian, or hispanic.   

Cross cultural [color blind] casting has been going on for a long time.  Most American and European film/theater audiences don't even notice it much more.

For many centuries theaters and films cast white actors to play other ethnic roles.   It is only in the last 50 or so years that actors of different ethnic backgrounds have been given roles that match their ethnicity.  Sadly the roles offered to non white actors were stereotypes rather than realistic characters.   i.e. blacks played maids slaves and thugs, hispanics played native americans, bandits and maids, asians played cooks, farmers, and drug lords.

While yes "everyone should have a go to play the part they want" the role should go to the actor best able to inhabit the role irrespective of ethnicity.

• Speed

In recent years I've been to the theatre in New York and London quite a bit. There's a good bit of color-blind casting (before "Hamilton," for the record), with people of different races and ethnicities playing members of the same biological family, in plays where race and "otherness" are not themes.

(I'm also seeing disabled actors and actors who are not exactly good looking in roles that don't call for those traits. They do just fine.)

Audiences seem to be fine with it and I fully expect it will become the norm for theatrical productions not about race.

• Cogito

In many cases, skin colour has nothing to do with a role in a play, film or TV show.  Sometimes, it does matter.

But as for 'everyone' being allowed to 'have a go' and play whatever role they would like, that's quite ridiculous.

Lin-Manuel Miranda (among others) beat you to it.

• sam

I think any actor can play any part, unless the role has been written to specifically cast an ethnicity or race, so that it wouldn't make sense any other way.

I would only cast a white actor as Iago and a Black actor as Othello, because race relations are the whole point of the story. 

(The exception would be if the production was deliberately making a statement: and the entire cast were black except Othello, played by a white actor.)

But the majority of characters can be played by someone of any race.