Does a convertible require an alternator with higher amps than a non-convertible ?

My Chrysler 200 convertible needs a new alternator, one has 19 amps, the other has 115 amps

Update:

Oops, I did mean 190

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Robert
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Alternator current capacity usually starts around 35 amps (1980's1100cc basic euro) at the lowest you can go. With increasing electrical demand and now the way alternators now charge the battery subject to emission regulations i.e. the battery should reach 75 to 90% full charge after 15 to 20 minutes of running the engine current outputs have increased. 

• fuzzy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

you mean 190 amp. Either will work - the lower powered one will take a few more minutes to recharge the battery after starting. Unless you have a monster sound system that you play at 10 with base boost on the lower power alternator will do the job.

• LOL...it's best to double check your question before posting it. You probably meant 190 amps...and there is NO 19 amp...that's way too damn low for a vehicle...

You should be driving a hatchback, a sedan, a coupe, or an escalade. A convertible is the worst vehicle you can possibly ever be driving. With the convertible, you breathe about 30% of the car's exhaust and about 60-80% during rush hour traffic. That's only if you have the top open and your sound system won't sound all that great. All that wind will mix in with your music.

• 1 month ago

19 amps? That's not right. Way too low an output. Go to Advance Auto and let them find the correct alternator for you.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Barry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Why would it? There is no 19 amp alternator. I expect you meant 190 amps. If you search online car spares they will list the correct amperage.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Stock is 115 amps and no

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There is no 19 amp alternator.   If the engines are the same, the alternator will be the same.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.