Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 months ago

Question about the crucifixion?

There is no contemporary historical confirmation of darkness covering the earth at the crucifixion (Matt 27:35, Luke 23:44).  Wouldn't there be some record of it somewhere, if darkness covered the entire earth?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favourite answer

And zombies.  I would have thought the Romans would have noticed all the dead people coming out of their graves at the time. 

• 7 months ago

Solar eclipses do happen and can last about 3 hours if we include the partial phases, where total sun blockage lasts about 7 minutes. Even if Jesus actually existed, it is difficult to pin point the time frame based on the stories of events the bible describes, placing the birth of the supposed Jesus as early as 6 b.c.. Because solar eclipse occur approximately every 18 months, even back then they could have planned for an execution on that day. God is not going to magically move the moon to block the sun.

All of this is completely mute however since the NT writers clearly relied on sources to create the stories of Jesus and even admit to not being actual eyewitnesses to any of it. Even the writing style is of the story telling kind where they speak in the third person to tell the story.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Youre saying you'd believe mere mortal lying men, and not God who can never lie. He never has that need.

Numbers 23:19 KJV — God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

Hebrews 6:18 — So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us.

Gods word is the only witness you need. Call him a liar and you can forget about salvation.

Now then, that event was prophesied in the OLD Testament long before Christ was even born......

Amos 8:9-10 KJV — And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, >>>that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day: <<< And I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; and I will bring up sackcloth upon all loins, and baldness upon every head; >>>>> and I will make it as the mourning of an only son, and the end thereof as a bitter day.<<<<<<

GOD MOURNED IN HEAVEN FOR THREE HOURS THAT DAY....NOON TO 3PM.....FOR HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON.

• 7 months ago

THERE were eye wittiness's such as scribes and the apostles who wrote of what they saw.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

No 1, we know that no such crucifixion ever occurred. Reason being that Jesus was a fictional character undoubtedly invented by Josephus  Yep, he was the man behind the story and was working with the Flavian family, and was related. What you ask about is just another nothing burger that was used to attempt to promote the character Jesus. That fake crucifixion report was to  cause the Jews to become hated.

hated

• Otto
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Another question about crucifixion": Was  Jesus executed on a cross or on a stake,"stau-ros" ?

• BJ
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Did a solar eclipse cause the three-hour-long darkness? No.

Solar eclipses take place only at the time of the new moon, not when the moon is full, as is the case at Passover time. 

The darkness caused on the day of Jesus’ death was a miracle from God.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Where does it say entire, I think they imply proximity.

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It didn't cover the entire Earth. It covered the area where the crucifixion took place - the "whole world" the biblical writers of that time knew to exist.

• 7 months ago

In 'Antiquity of the Jews' book XIV.3 [or XIV 12.2?] there's a reference to the sun turning away. Some wonder if this is  a ref. to the 3 hour long darkness at Jesus' crucifixion. Jesus' crucifixion occurred within a day of the Jewish Passover which always requires to be on the day of the Full Moon. Eclipses can ONLY happen at the time of the New Moon. So it is 100% impossible for the darkening of the sun at the crucifixion to have been an eclipse. But pagan Roman historian Thallus reported astonishing events when Jesus died (reported within 19 years of the crucifixion, which was between 29 and 33 AD). 

Thallus wrongly thought there had been an eclipse and was ridiculed by his contemporaries for the reasons above. Yet this shows that some non-Christians were in agreement that the death had happened, and that darkness had occurred at the time. From the link below, read what Thallus wrote, he perhaps being the earliest secular writer to mention Jesus. Although his ancient writings don’t exist anymore, Julius Africanus, writing around 221AD, does quote him. Here's what Africanus wrote: 

“On the whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness; and the rocks were rent by an earthquake, and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down. This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun.” (Julius Africanus, Chronography, 18:1)  But the fact that Thallus’ pagan views on this astonishing event are reported by Julius Africanus in his later writings indicates that non-Christians knew of the events when Jesus died. There were eye-witnesses, John, the apostle, Jesus' mother, her sister, and two other Marys. The gospel account of the apostle Matthew tells us that this supernatural darkness lasted three hours from noon - 27:45 - fulfilling the prophecy in Amos 8:9.But Luke 23:44-46 has the Greek word for 'land', not 'world' - so it is a mistake to jump to the conclusion that the Bible claims the whole world, or the whole earth, experienced this 3-hour darkness. It never did.

• 7 months ago

Mt. 27:45  "From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land [earth].

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.