What's the safest place to be, when stuck outside in a thunder storm?

I'd evaluate whether I was truly stuck outside, or whether the limitation was in my mind.  Normally, I wouldn't hitch hike, bang on doors, or break into cars or houses, but if it was a matter of survival, it would be fair game.  Shelter is better than survival tricks.

I'd also have to consider what the greatest threat was.  Lightning strike?  Hypothermia?  Flash flood?  Hail?  Even a tornado?  For example, if I was hiking a narrow valley in Hawaii, I would scramble up the valley wall, or climb a small tree.  Lightning rarely hits the ground there, but a flash flood could be lethal.

I'm never outside and far from shelter, except when hiking or bike touring.  If baseball hail started, and I couldn't run to a nearby overhang or sturdy tree, I'd try to protect my vital areas with my pack or bike.

Underneath the car

• Rain

Try to go inside any building or apartments. Get inside the car, if available nearby and you will be safe.

As low as possible. If flooding is not expected, a ditch is the safest spot.

• TQ

There is no safest place to be when stuck outside in a thunder storm [sic].

The time to think about where the safest place to be in a thunderstorm is before you're stuck outside in a thunderstorm.

• Dze

near trees but not close to them .. you dont want to be in an open field ..

In a low area in an automobile with rubber tires is another good place. Where you don't want to be is next to the Big tall tree in the middle of the open field.

Any place except Seattle.