Why don't dine-in restaurants have you pay upfront for your food?

Because most people do not know exactly what they are going to order from the moment they are seated. Besides, billing and paying as you order each item as you consume it is ridiculous and a waste of energy and time.

For instance, let's say I was really hungry and ordered my whole meal and paid for it before the ticket even made it to the kitchen...I would have ordered a glass of wine, an appetizer and a meal, plus dessert. But wait,after eating  I was too full for dessert. So I would have to ask for a refund. But I want another glass of wine, so let me pay again in advance. That would have  been a purchase , a refund and another purchase...three transactions.

Waitresses are waitresses, not cashiers for separate charges throughout the meal. 

People want to make sure that their meal was made specific to how they wanted it made before paying for it. You also don’t know how well the waiter or waitressing will be before eating your meal, so how could you determine a proper tip? There’s many more reasons.

Because that would discourage people from adding something later like desserts or after dinner drinks.

Because they is a deadly virus going around and they dont want to die

• Robert

Because they would then have to open a second check if you decide to add dessert or coffee or have another drink.One check makes it faster and simple to conduct the transaction.

Why should they do that?