How long does it take to become a pilot?

40 flight hours, perhaps. 

Plus ground school. 

Plus the FAA written test. 

Plus the FAA check ride (like a road test for cars). 

All depends on how much initiative and incentive you have.  I had my private license in about six weeks (I was very driven as flying was always something I wanted to do.)

• Sky

It really depends on your specific opportunities.  If you have the money and free time to hammer out the flight lessons, you could get your private pilot certificate in a few weeks with a good amount of daily flying (as well as a flight instructor who has that kind of availability).  The average time for the average person is over several months, flying a few times a week when they get free time and/or the extra money to do it.  Some people take even longer; I used to work at a flight school and there was at least one student who literally took years, but in his case he was a total dumbass.

As far as the hours requirements go, the private pilot certificate has a minimum requirement of 40 hours total time, 20 hours of that being dual (with an instructor) and 20 hours solo, and some portion of it is to be cross country flight.  Almost nobody gets their license with the minimum hours, though; I think I got mine in the 60-70 hour range.

So far I've only mentioned the private pilot certificate, because that will give you the most versatility and least restrictions.  There are also the recreational pilot certificate, and the sport pilot certificate.  Those will get you flying quicker, as in a minimum time of only 20 hours total flight time, but they both have various restrictions on when you can fly (daytime only), where you can fly (within 50 miles of your starting airport), what you can fly (aircraft weight limits), and who you can fly with (such as no passengers).  The specifics can be looked up in the federal aviation regulations under the category of pilot certification.  If you want to get a pilot's license, I highly recommend you go for the private pilot certificate, and then also go for your instrument pilot certificate so you can still fly when the weather is crap.

Source(s): pilot since 1995

That will depend on you.

• ?

If you have fairly good coordination, and average or better hand/eye coordination, it might be possible to solo in a week. A month of ground school, and flying lessons should get you in the air, if you really want to work at it. It usually isn't a matter of "how long", but instead "how much money".

It takes 3 months to become a pilot and earn your private pilot license. To become an airline pilot, it takes just over two years to gain the required 1,500 hours flight time.