Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 months ago

How can just believing in Jesus save you?

How does simply believing in something or someone purge a person of sins?  First of all, you can't just say you believe in something if you don't.  But what if the evidence just won't let you believe it?  If I said "The earth is flat and you must believe it" there is not much I could do to convince you that it is true.  (although some people do believe that).  So what if a person cannot believe in their heart that Jesus is God, based on the evidence?  But most importantly, how can just believing that save you from hell?  To me it is obvious that the idea that if you don't believe in Jesus you will go to hell was started by his followers and the gospel writers to scare people into joining their church.  That makes the most sense.  

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago
    Favourite answer

Because morality plays second fiddle to accepting a ridiculous character when it comes to Christianity.

• Hogie
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

If you don't believe God; what He says, then you would also not follow Him. Belief/faith is paramount. 

There is plenty of credible evidence for God. You just have to be willing to examine it.

• 4 months ago

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

The Word states you have to "believeth in him", The Lord Jesus Christ. Now if you truly believe in Jesus then you believe All he did and All that he taught. You believe He is the "only begotten Son" of God.

If you truly believe, then you live the life of a Christian and do what is put forth in the Bible.

You are a hearer and a doer of the Word.

James 1:22 "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."

• 4 months ago

It can't.  Believing that there are dangerous rapids downstream won't save you from them.  You actually have to get out of the water.

In the same way, we actually have to give up our sins if we want to be saved.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Paul
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

"Believing in" Jesus doesn't just mean believing He existed. Even most atheists know He was a historical person. "Believing in" Him means accepting what He taught, and living your life guided by that truth. A person cannot simply decide to believe something. We require evidence before we believe anything, and God knows that. He wants to provide that evidence, as He has already done for billions of people.  If we want to find that evidence, we have to take steps to find it. If we want to know math, we have to go to someone who can teach us about it. Same with Jesus. Which is why He founded one church, said it was to remain one, and promised that one Church "He who hears you hears Me". Call a local Catholic Church and inquire about the RCIA Program. It is a series of informal meetings where the truths of the faith are presented to people who want to find God or learn more about Him. Of course the schedule of such programs may be interrupted by the present situation with the virus.

• 4 months ago

It can't.  There's more to salvation than a simple belief in Jesus.

Lk 13:3 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.

Rom 10:9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.

Mk 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Rev 2:10 Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown.

James 2:19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

Even demons "believe".  Biblical faith is an obedient faith (Rom 1:5; Ac 6:7; Heb 11:8).

• 4 months ago

Obey his teachings.

• 4 months ago

Belief is only part of the package.  I used to know someone who was a "believer" who had not committed, and was therefore not Christian.  Commitment and repentance are the key.  It doesn't mean belief in the sense you understand it.

• 4 months ago

Your failure to understand does not render it untrue.

• Doug
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

Sin is what keeps a person out of heaven. Since Jesus Christ paid for all sins, the only thing left for us to do is to believe in Him for the free gift of everlasting life. The moment we do that, all of our sins are forgiven (Acts 10:43) and we are declared perfectly righteous (Rom. 3:23-24).

Because we have all sinned against a perfectly holy and righteous God, we all deserve eternal separation from God in hell (Rom. 6:23). However, God loves us so much that He sent His only Son Jesus to die on the cross as our Substitute so we don't have to go to hell. Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose from the grave three days later (1 Cor. 15:3-4). He gives eternal life freely to anyone who simply believes in Him for it. No one can be saved by doing good works. Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone (Eph. 2:8-9).

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (John 6:47).

• Ralph
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

The fact of the matter: If you are a true believer of God one that is chosen by God, you will believe God The Lord Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior holy word the bible, because God is truth only and man is a liar, that is why all of God prophecy are coming true an all will come true before that great an terrible day of the Lord comes judgment day.

Source(s): King James holy bible
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.