Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

Is expensive fish food really worth it?

Not always, there's also good cheap fish food, we've always fed our fish cheap food and they lived a while

Depends on what kind of fish you have? bigger more exotic fish like tilapia and you can get from any store frozen and give it to them also smaller fish love blood warms you can get from a pet store frozen and each one you put in warm water and it will go into pieces but make sure if you use tap water but condition just a little drop not too much cause you can mess up your Tank balance if you just pour the food in but I wouldn't do that I would put little pieces in by hand

when i had fish i would get a good quality fish food and would give them frozen blood worms which they loved and also had plants in the tank they liked to eat

I beleive that fish need more meat, spirulina, and fish in their diet then the grains that fill up many of the cheaper brands, and some of the better brands.  

I beilieve that frozen foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp are an important part of a healthy diet for most fish.  And as long as I can not make it myself, I will pay, but yes it can be expensive.  

• kswck2

Depends on what you consider Expensive. I run a 75 gallon Fresh water tank. And I have 7 Jelly Bean Parrots. And if I sold them they would be about $100 Each due to their size. And salt water fish-they can be WAY more expensive. So it depends on what you want to show off. 

But for feeding them? Any old fish food is usually well balanced. 

What do you consider expensive?

I feed frozen foods, Xtreme, and Repashy. But I am also a breeder. 

I would say that if you just do this as a side hobby with a pretty mainstream tropical fish tank like Angelfish as most people do then you would be fine with feeding something like Tetra. 

If you are trying to grow fish out quickly or have a species of fish that is prone to bloat like Mbuna Cichlids then yes it is worth it. 

Otherwise you'll do just fine with something affordable like Tetra or API. In all my years of fish keeping, I have fed mostly Tetra or API and fish reached full life expectancy.