Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 2 months ago

My aunt was trying to adopt a dog, but none of the shelters would adopt out because my cousin is under age 13. Why do they have this rule?

All the shelters except one had a policy of not adopting out to families with kids under age 13

• kitta

Some shelters/rescues have a policy of not placing animals with people who have children under a certain age because the animals have been abused. Therefore, the shelters/rescues have a concern that the animals will not do well in homes with younger children because the animals require special care, handling, and understanding that children may not be able to give.

In other words, children and animals may get hurt.

Hence, the policy.

You've have to ask the shelters in question.

It's not common.

You need to ask them as to why they have their rules.  How are we expected to know the reasons for every shelter's, which you don't even identify, rules?

• A

All the shelters I know will only adopt to people over 18.   a 13 year old is not legal to enter into a legal contract, cannot support a dog financially, and would be in school when the dog would need care.