Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsMusic & Music Players · 2 months ago

Background Noise?

I have some pc headphones that I use to record songs (just for trying) and when I listen my audio tracks I hear the background noise. I would like to know, if I buy a good microphone suitable for recording songs (I was thinking about a Rode NT-2) the noise will be deleted? Thanks you.

Good microphones, such as those made by AKG, are good because they accurately record the sound. It will not eliminate background noise. You need to find a place where the surroundings are quiet if you do not want background noises. Also, if you sing louder or put the mike closer to your mouth, then you will have a higher signal to noise ratio because you have a stronger signal, so when you play back the audio, you don't have to turn up the volume as much, and that in turn will reduce the background noise.  

Is it that helicopter sound? If so, i had the same problem with Skype and moved the mic like 2 inches to the left and that stopped it. Be mindful of feedback.

There are several different possible sources of "noise", the solution depends on which it is.

Spacemissing is spot on, as far as ambient noise; the better the mic, the better it picks up everything.

However, if you are recording with anything connected directly to a PC, you may also be getting some electrical noise from the PC power supply - or just from the headset itself.

If the noises are like short bursts different tones & series of clicks or rumbles, try recording while opening and closing different programs & see if the noises change more at the times you do things.

Or, if it's just a steady background "hiss" - that is from low quality electronics in the mic and circuitry it connect to.

If it is just environmental noise being recorded, a dynamic mic such as a Shure SM58 plus a suitable audio interface like a Focusrite Scarlett is your best option.

The SM58 is designed for stage use where there is a lot of other noise; they rely on you having them very close to your mouth so your voice is a lot louder than unwanted sounds & they are also somewhat directional so are most sensitive directly in front; less so to the sides.

Computer electrical noise should not happen when using a good audio interface & with one of those you can use any professional type mic you wish.

Just be wary of scams - many so-called condenser or studio condenser mics on sale are actually just cheap electret ones in oversize casings at inflated prices.

The MXL ones such as 990, V67, V87 etc. are true condenser types.

The Rhode is also a true condenser type, though the original NT2 is more like the $100 V67 than the $250 V87 for internal noise; 14 dBa for the NT2 vs 8.5 dBa for the V87.

The NT2a is better again, just 7.0 dBa

I have to presume that you mean noises other than those you intended to record. 

Well, to begin with, microphones can't discriminate between 

intended and unintended sounds. 

They respond to all sounds in proportion to the relative loudness of each sound. 

You have to make the environment (room) as quiet as possible. 

There are many ways to do that, including having heavy drapes, 

lots of upholstered furniture, wall-to-wall carpet, 

and other sound-absorbent materials. 

Using a dynamic mic rather than a condenser or electret mic can help a lot. 

It is a good idea to make an experimental five-minute recording of the "silent" room 

and then play it back using fully enclosed circumnaural headphones 

so you can get an idea of the real situation.  

Sounds from outdoors can be a problem 

even in well-isolated professional recording studios, 

so you are Not alone in this!