Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 2 months ago

After a green light, should you always wait 3 seconds?

I have heard that you should always wait 3 seconds after the light turns green to enter the intersection and look left for oncoming cars? Is this true? Do people do this?

Yes, saved me from near misses. Once almost got hit by an Ambulance because the light had a glitch and it gave everyone a green. Those three seconds save from last minute people running the light 

About 49 years ago I was driving my VW bus and waiting for the light.  As it turned green, I sneezed.  Then a couple seconds later, a pickup truck crossed the intersection just in front of me, moving at about 50 mph.  Its tires were at least a foot off the pavement. 

If I had jumped out at the light change, the front driver's side of my VW bus would have been completely flattened.  I would not have survived.  So I owe the last 49 years of my life to that sneeze.

Rubbish.

You should be monitoring what is going on around you at all times,  generally speaking you will see the other vehicles stopping so will know your about to get the green and so already know its safe to move,(as the other vehicles have stopped)  while for any vacant opposing lanes or in quite locations yes, a look is wise but it does not take 3 seconds to look.     Wait 3 seconds and the car wanting to turn across you from the other direction will think your broken down and so move off at the same time you do.  Bang.

Safe drivers do it. ALWAYS make sure an intersection is clear before proceeding into one. ALWAYS. 

No you should wait 2-4 business days to be sure.

If you wait any time at all, the guy behind you will be honking and driving into the trunk of your car.  Nothing you list is necessary.

I just look.   .

You should be checking for drivers who might run the light before the light changes, not after.

Are you kidding,the lights at some intersections only stay green for less than 10 seconds,there is already a safety delay built in,if you wait you are just pissing off the drivers of the cars behind you and making them late.

Just look to your right and then your left before pulling into the intersection. Do you count yourself to sleep at night too?!