Can anyone who plays the violin help me with a question about tuning the E chord? ?

Well, today I decided to buy a violin at a pawn shop. I used to play the cello back in the day, and missed it a lot. But at this time, I cannot afford a cello. But I saw this beauty and I do know some about the violin. Not a lot, but some. Well, I was able to tune all the strings except for E. I'm supported to tune it to E 5. It won't go out of any of the chords past 4. I did buy more strings on Amazon and I'm getting them tomorrow. Could it be the string is too old? Or is it something else? I'm tuning from the bottom. I'm not sure if I should also be using to top for tuning. It's just a student violin, and if I feel I'm progressing, I'm going to get a better one. Just need some helpful words on the tuning experience. Thanks. 

Don't EVER try to tune a violin, viola, cello or bass without a trained professional such as your teacher nearby. Not only may the strings snap if you twist the pegs to much or incorrectly, but the fine tuners (small turny dial things at the bottom of the strings below the bridge) may be damaged. Get yourself a teacher. Cello and violin are very different.

• D50

If you "used to play the cello" you have forgotten everything you once knew. Yes, be sure the sound post is inside it and get a cell phone app for tuning. There's millions of them.

Your question is unclear. I suggest you contact a string teacher.

I recommend finding somebody that knows music to help you with terminology, and a qualified violin teacher would be a good idea.

• Me2

Before proceeding, look under the bridge via the F-hole near the E string to verify that the sound post is installed.  It is typically just behind the bridge, that is, slightly toward the tailpiece.  If it's missing, slacken the strings and have a luthier fit a new part.

Loosen the fine tuner mounted on the tailpiece until the adjusting screw extends about 2/3rds of its length.  Use the tuning peg to get the E string to just below the target pitch, then bring the string to pitch with the fine tuner.

(If the tuning peg is difficult to work, you may need to remove it to clean the peg and peghole with alcohol, then put a little "peg dope" on the peg.)

It's hard to understand what you mean - there are a few things you say that make no sense. It sounds like you don't mean the “E chord”, you mean the E string.

I have no idea what you mean when you say, “it won't go out of any of the chords past 4” (it's been a hard day!)

When you mention tuning, I don't know if this is what you mean, but you tune all the strings of string instruments in the same way: by turning the tuning pegs on the headstock. If the instrument is fitted with fine tuners, at the tailpiece end, they are used to make very minor corrections.

An old string shouldn't really mean that it can't be tuned to the correct note (unless it snaps).

The adjustments on the bottom are for fine-tuning the string take your adjustments that are on the bottom and make them about halfway so that you can either loosen it to make it flatter or tighten it to make it sharper. Then use your adjustments up top to get it as close to the pitch as you can by ear begin with the g string get it calibrated then put four fingers on the g string to get the d. Once you've got the d four fingers on the d string to get you your a. And then lastly but not least four fingers on the a string to give you the e. This way you account for the age of the strings. Of course it always helps to have a digital meter handy. Today's modern cell phones you can actually download the digital meter to adjust your violin.

You need a good violinist - a teacher would be best - to teach you how to tune the violin.  General tuning is done with the pegs at the end of the fingerboard - near the scroll.  the tiny fine-tuners are found near the tailpiece - below the bridge, nearer to the chin rest.  If you do not know how to tune this - then you are hardly *making progress*.  And much of your terminology is off - and you remember far less form the cello, years ago, than you can apply to the violin.  Get LIVE help - you might not understand what we explain here.