df
Lv 4
df asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 2 months ago

How common are full tuition waivers? For a bachelors degree? For a masters degree?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Probably not very.  If they waived tuition for everybody how would the school pay its expenses?  Faculty and staff don't work for free.  All those fancy new buildings on campus aren't free and aren't going to build and maintain themselves.

• 2 months ago

Not common.  Common would suggest available to many or most students.  

There are two types of aid: need-based and merit-based.  Need-based financial aid is often awarded on a sliding scale related to the family's income. Some private universities offer full tuition waivers for students whose family income is below $90K.  Public universities have limited full-ride aid on need.

Again, while limited in number, all universities provide some number of merit-base full-tuition scholarships. It could be based solely on a GPA or test score.  It could be based on the student bringing a particular skill set, such as playing to oboe or being a running-back.  

• MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Full tuition waivers are more often administered by specific departments or organizations within a university or college, and sometimes only certain departments are able to award such waivers.  Athletes often receive them.  At my university, they are also offered by the music department, based on audition.  My university offers a number of merit scholarships that aren't equivalent to a tuition waiver but cover a significant amount of the cost; that is also fairly common.

Some states offer scholarship funds that are the equivalent of a tuition waiver, if you meet certain criteria.  

Graduate schools may offer a waiver if you receive a graduate assistantship, in which case you work for the department in exchange for a waiver and usually a stipend.  Some programs are able to offer these to all admitted students, but other programs require that you apply for these.

• 2 months ago

unless you are the best possible student, academically, or for sport ... very uncommon

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

hopefully pretty common, i would ask financial aid about it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.