MJ asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

What would you do if someone provoked you ?

Would you get angry?

What things make you tick?

Would you get violent or try to solve using others means if someone is really getting on you nerves or doing stuff that is clearly unacceptable to you.  Maybe they are behaving badly towards you or treating you bad. Would you confront them?

Depends on the situation.

I am most likely to simply remove myself from the situation and avoid that person in the future.  Where I can’t simply leave I will try to extricate myself as quickly as possible and set up ‘buffers’ if I have to interact with them again.

If I can’t simply leave the situation, like at work, I will always call the person on their behavior while staying calm and rational.  NOT confronting, but holding up a mirror to their behavior. 

Violence would be a last resort and only if I feel physically threatened.

I deal with this sort of thing at work, particularly with other women, all the time.  There is one woman at work who is so nasty I simply avoid her and don’t interact with her at all unless is is necessary for work, which is rare.  Another very new employee subtly puts me down every time we interact and the other day lost her cool and started yelling.  I calmly called her on her abusive behavior for the yelling, then almost immediatly took the issue to my boss and explained the way she’s been behaving toward me.  As I’m essential to the business he took it very seriously and her behavior has improved but I doubt she’ll be there long term.

Best their ***

Edit:sorry for my language 💀

I would leave the situation so I don't get out of character.

• Jesere

Laugh at them then walk away

Very much depends on the situation doesn't it. Your question is about as helpful as 'how long is a piece of string?'

I work as a Mental Health Peer Counselor in my free time. I look at someone's anger as a manifestation of their pain. I don't waste my time on how it reflects on me. I am not a part of the equation in trying to help others. As helping others should be a default state, it should give an idea how to deal with the answer of others.

I once went to a club and had a few drinks. As it would happen, I tripped on my own feet and fell over. The club bouncers were having a quiet night, so decided to make me an 'example', making out I was drunk (for their own entertainment - in no time, half the staff of the club were standing around laughing and watching/waiting for the bouncers to start into me - BTW - I'm FEMALE) The key bouncer left my husband alone, but honed into me and told me I smelled and was disgusting. I laughed and looked him up and down and asked him what made him think his opinion was important to anyone. He stood there glaring at me, and I could tell he really wanted to hit/hurt me, but I didn't give him the reaction he was counting on so he had to let it go. I think ha;lf the battle is over when you realise they are low lifes looking for a reaction. What better way to ignore their taunts than remembering a non reaction from you is upsetting them more than the smack in the mouth they're looking for!

Unless they threatened my life and someone in my family,

I would ignore them.They can not win.

• Piero

Ignore them. Don't give them any satisfaction. ANY reaction would be a win for them.

That depends a lot on context.

For example, if someone tried to provoke me by calling me insulting names at a party, I may decide to refrain from getting angry, and just try to be the better person.

If someone tried to provoke me by behaving violently towards someone that I care about, then I may get angry, and I would definitely feel the need to intervene and put this person back in their place.

I do try to think about what is going to result in the best outcome. If someone provokes me, deliberately or otherwise, it isn't just a case of instantly punching this person. I think about what is likely to happen next. If I can't take down an enemy now, but there's a chance that maybe I can in 10 minutes time when their guard is down, then hell yes I will bide my time. I want results. If someone starts a war with me, I will employ strategy and tactics, and attack at the right moment.