I’m travelling from the UK to Europe on the 8th of June by car. Do I need to bring any documents because of corona.?

My mum is very ill and in emergency I am going to visit her. I have to bring my two children with me in the car. We have been isolating and we are ready to leave however I’m unsure of any documents I need. I will be driving through Germany, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovania, Austria, Montenegro....

Please respect my reason I would not be going otherwise. I would very much appreciate any advice I am worried.

6 Answers

  • Orla C
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    If you're in the UK, you're already in Europe, it's not the same as European Union. 

    You'll need passports for sure, and probably some kind of document stating you've tested negative for the corona virus. 

    I am sorry to hear about your mother, but I think it would be better to fly to where you need to go, not drive, if at all possible. 

  • 8 months ago

    You have to self isolate in the UK for 2 weeks on arrival.


    If your mother is in hospital, I doubt you would be able to see her due to you having to self isolate.

    Whilst you may be covid free now, you are potentially passing through 5 countries where you or your children may pick it up.  There is no way you can travel that far without needing to stop and take breaks.

    It must be heartbreaking not to be able to see your Mother.  Hope she recovers.

  • 8 months ago

    Every country has different rules right now. I know that the Baltic countries have started allowing visitors from the other two countries, but not from any other countries in Europe. You are very likely to be stopped. I don't know if you'll be allowed to drive through. It's a big risk to take right now. 

  • 8 months ago

    You need to check the requirements for each country you're going to be driving through - both on travel restrictions, and driving requirements.

    You also need the usual insurance for driving outside the UK.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

    you need a form filled in before you can travel through france ..and you need an international driving licence /permit for montenegro 

  • 8 months ago

    All of you need passports, and the papers for the car must be current. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.