I frequently get calls from people claming to represent the police,asking for donations to support them,since when do the police need to beg?

for money from the public?The caller won't even tell me what police department he's representing,Does this sound like a scam?Does the caller think people will be afraid not to donate because they invoke the police name while trying to get our money?

I am awhere that police departments will have there officers sell tickets to some police event,but to beg for donations over the phone sounds highly suspect to me.

Don't give them any money.  Police departments, of course, don't have to do fund raising for their day-to-day operations...the taxpayers do that.  But often they will try to raise money for civic and community projects that aren't covered by their operating budgets.

Where I come from, they will do their fundraising by doing things like "boot day," where officers would stand at intersections with fireman's boots and collect donations, or "daisy day," where they pass out those cheesy fake daisies with the little wire that put through your buttonhole.

But sometimes, you get calls claiming to be from the local FOP, or the "State Police Civic Organizations," or something like that.  Hang up on them.  They may be calling on behalf of legitimate police organizations, but the police will see precious little of the money they raise.

They are professional fund raising organizations.  The guy calling you gets paid according to how much money he can bring in.  By the time the fund raisers pay their employees and expenses (office space ain't cheap,ya know), the actual police organization gets less than 20% of the donations.

I know.  I worked for one of these companies back in the 70's for a couple months after I got out of college.  We sold magazines subscriptions to "raise money" for the Big Brothers and Sisters.  Their share of the proceeds amounted to one-eighth....12 1/2 percent.

Again, if you get one of those calls, hang up.

Its a scam.

Sort of scary you have even ask this.

The police don't need to beg for money.

The caller is not representing any police department.

The caller is representing a non-profit or a fraternal organization, which may or may not be getting more than a few pennies out of each dollar donated while the caller keeps most of it.

• God

Those people calling and claiming to be police are scam artists.  Don't give them anything.

I always say, "My Dad is a retired Police Officer" and they hang up on me.

There are a lot of these organizations that have paid fundraising staff who cold-call people and ask for money for the "Police Fallen Heroes Fund" or whatever name the organization is using. These are not very worthy charities. Most of the money goes to the paid fundraisers.

Usually there is an actual charitable organization who will receive at least some of the money that does do some stuff - they're not usually a complete scam, which would be legal fraud and get them in trouble, but, as I said, they are generally not very worthwhile. Most of the money goes to fundraising and overhead, and only the bare minimum goes to any good purpose. 

If you want to support good causes - of virtually any type - go to a place like www.charitynavigator.org, which lists lots and lots of charities, where their money actually goes, and what they do.  

It's a scam.  Anyone randomly asking for money over the phone is a thief.

It's not the police who are calling. For the rest of my answer, ignore the police part.  Ask that caller or anybody making phone solicitations for contributions for any "charity" what percentage of contributions go for the program and what percentage goes for fund raising.  If they say they don't know, hang up. Most of the donations to outfits like this go for fund raising and only a tiny amount goes to the charity. 

Why are you answering phone calls coming from a number you don't recognize?  I only give to local charities like the animal shelter.

• Mark

I don't give to any org that randomly calls me.  How do you know who they really are?

I used to get calls asking for "Marie".  When I said there was no Marie at this number, they would say "Oh, well I'm calling from ..." and it claimed to be a police organization raising money.

NEVER give to ANYONE via an inbound phone solicitation.  Always research and choose your charities on your own.