Do lawyers have good upward mobility? Im planning on attending law school next fall and am deciding which school to attend.?

The law school I have received the best scholarship from doesn't have great starting salary stats. Private lawyers make 75,000 starting, public make 55,000. How does upward mobility work in law? If I start out making 75,000 how much could I reasonably expect to make in 5 years? 10 years? Thank you guys.

• n2mama

Realistically there are a ton of factors that influence a lawyer’s salary. On average in the U.S. a lawyer makes around $85,000/year. That’s all lawyers, all parts of law, all levels of lawyer. There are lawyers making a lot more, and lawyers making a lot less. A lot depends on the type of law you practice, where you practice, and how much you hustle. You probably won’t be a partner somewhere in 5 years, maybe not in 10 years.

My sister went to law school, passed the bar on her first try and could not get a job. She ended up joining the military with the JAG to get the experience she needed to be able to get hired. And it took her over a decade to get her law school debt paid off. She is out of law school for 12 years at this point and is right around the average salary mark.

It depends on if you can find work. I knew a guy that was a part time bartender with a law degree. Could not find work.