Do lawyers have good upward mobility? Im planning on attending law school next fall and am deciding which school to attend.?

The law school I have received the best scholarship from doesn't have great starting salary stats. Private lawyers make 75,000 starting, public make 55,000. How does upward mobility work in law? If I start out making 75,000 how much could I reasonably expect to make in 5 years? 10 years? Thank you guys.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • n2mama
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Realistically there are a ton of factors that influence a lawyer’s salary. On average in the U.S. a lawyer makes around $85,000/year. That’s all lawyers, all parts of law, all levels of lawyer. There are lawyers making a lot more, and lawyers making a lot less. A lot depends on the type of law you practice, where you practice, and how much you hustle. You probably won’t be a partner somewhere in 5 years, maybe not in 10 years.

My sister went to law school, passed the bar on her first try and could not get a job. She ended up joining the military with the JAG to get the experience she needed to be able to get hired. And it took her over a decade to get her law school debt paid off. She is out of law school for 12 years at this point and is right around the average salary mark.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It depends on if you can find work. I knew a guy that was a part time bartender with a law degree. Could not find work.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.