liberal asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 4 weeks ago

For those of you who watch war movies: Do you prefer those depicting events during a war from within your own lifetime, or from before it?

For example if you were born in 1980, would you rather watch one depicting events from World War 2 such as Hacksaw Ridge or Hamburger Hill in the Vietnam War .. or one from post 9 / 11 such as American Sniper ?

bq: Are you a veteran and/or who from your life has served ?

I am not a veteran but I lived through WWII, Korea, Vietnam and the rest and was in the Air Force Reserves for 9 years from 1950 but was not called up for the Korean War. I did follow WWII closely on radio and in newspapers and form tales told by my father and all of my uncles who were in the war so i have lots of knowledge on the war and see lots of mistakes in war movies and even accounts in the news by Journalists who do not know there history which these days includes a majority of all journalists in the major news networks. I liek war movies that are good regardless of the period in history but am running out of ones to watch as I have seen most of them. 

I prefer movies depicting war before my lifetime.  Glory has been my favorite movie of all time, since I was 8.  I grew up on a lot WWII and Vietnam movies, being born in the 80s, but I am mostly intrigued by the ones set before the 20th century.  Heaven and Earth, a film about two major waring factions in Feudal Japan is my second favorite.  Hacksaw Ridge and Blackhawk Down are my favorites from the modern era.  I never served, but my dad was a Marine Corps drill instructor, which has a lot to do with my interest in military films. 

It doesn't matter to me as long as it's a good movie.

I am a US Navy Veteran, and enjoy good Naval movies.....

Pearl Harbor,  USS Indianapolis, Midway,  Crimson Tide,   Final Countdown,  Battleship, ...

but enjoy good war movies of any era or branch. 

• JuanB

I like a good war movie no matter what.  But I prefer wars from before my lifetime.  I am a bit more of a WW2 buff, but WW1 and Vietnam movies have since become more common and fine by me too.  

The movies all have propaganda built in and the more recent wars is "too soon".  Old war propaganda is easier to watch without eye rolls.  

• Laredo

I like any war film, regardless of when and where it took place. I prefer that they stick to the truth about the war, warts and all if they have to.  

BQ - I am 75 years of age (female).   I am not a veteran. Both my grandfathers served in World War 1 and returned home.  My father was reserved occupation so he could not serve in World War 2.

I prefer war movies from the Vietnam War and before, I was born in the late 50s... but I still watch all of them. I think American Sniper and 12 Strong are good war movies, even Heartbreak Ridge was okay.

comment: My grandfather served in the Spanish American War believe it or not, he died before I was born but I have his medals. 4 of my uncles served in WW2, one was killed in Germany. I knew a man that was a Marine in the Korean War and was at the Chosin Reservoir battle. I know or meet many people that were in the Vietnam War, and I served 4 years in the Navy, but that was in between wars, I never saw any 'action.'