is it normal to obsess over your best friend and have them be the centre of your life?

i'm 18 and she's 21. we've been best friends for 4 years but known each other for maybe 5-6. i'm always analyzing her behaviour and making sure she doesn't hate me or leave me. sometimes if she seems more short with me in a conversation i panic and ask for reassurance. i think about her and text her 24/7 and get upset when she talks to other people or shows signs of interest in someone. i talk to her about everything and i don't hide things from her. i guess i sort of look up to her like a parent. early in our friendship, from my age of around 14-16 i would get really angry and block her if she left me on read because i thought she hated me and was going to leave me.

sooo, yeah. i try to hide this part of me but i've done this with most of my best friends since i was a kid. i guess i was wondering if this was normal or not, because most people tell me i can be intense to be around but i wasn't sure since they're my best friend i sort of figured it was normal to obsess over them.

Obsessing over another person is never healthy and I think you have some insecurity issues. Have you considered seeing a therapist.

• mokrie

No it's not normal. Your obsessive because your so insecure and needy. You need to work on gaining some independence and have a larger circle of friends.

• Tasm

That is a teen phase. 

• Alexandra1 month agoReport

I've been this way since childhood though and people keep leaving me because of it, I think if it was a phase it would be over by now.