Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Why was cigarette smoking so common until recently?

Until recently, the dangers of and damage caused by cigarettes was unknown and the tobacco companies were not under any legal obligation to provide warnings on their packaging and advertising.  Smoking was socially acceptable and regarded as being cool when the likes of James Dean, Bette Davis and other Hollywood actors were seen smoking in their movies.  Now, people are better informed about the ramifications of smoking and there is also much more awareness about health and overall wellbeing in society.

• denise

It was banned in so many public buildings and bars e.t.c.  And it seemed 'unsociable' to go outside,  I suppose some people  just stopped.

Because it took the anti smoking movement time to build momentum. The fumes from a car are worse than cigarette smoke. The fumes from a car idling for an hour are equal to 86,000 cigarettes!! Something EVERY government has known for DECADES. As it's something 'everyone' uses, they couldn't attack petrol (diesel is worse) so smoking was the cash cow. Make it a 'health issue' to justify exorbitant taxes. SOME people do have health issues and can't breathe around cigarette smoke - something like the reaction 'I' get whenever I'm near traffic fumes/houses with open fireplaces - even some perfumes! Of course, people like me don't have a bandwagon - don't expect the world to cater to our issues - we just plod along and make the best of it. The anti smoking movement is just (many) people who aren't happy having done nothing with their lives, so want to make themselves matter, by dictating to total strangers!! (The band wagon gives them 'courage' to bully!) I like how 'selective' they are . . .   I was smoking on a (country) train once (when you could). I asked everyone in the compartment if they minded - all ok. Just prior to departure a woman came on board. As I had already lit my cigarette, I pondered whether to ask her about the smoking. I decided to mention it to her. She went ballistic with coughing etc as she said no. I told her I'd finish what I had lit up, but wouldn't light up again. She coughed the entire time. My point is,  if smoking was so 'bad for her health' and cigarettes 'smell' - why didn't she pick up that I was smoking until I pointed it out to her?? I know no one has to point out chimney smoke to me before I lose the ability to breathe - I can tell straight away. But then, I'm not out looking to dictate to strangers. And that's where smokers went wrong. Too busy being polite (asking before lighting up - I know I do!) and not standing up and fighting back when the anti bandwagon kicked in!!

Years ago no one knew the damage it caused.  No one knew second hand smoke caused health issues.  

Why kids start smoking now, knowing the dangers is beyond me.

Smoking is not allowed in many areas. Many people won’t allow it in their home. I know people who smoke who won’t smoke in their home 

The  cost has gone up tremendously.  Sin tax goes up and up.

Age to get cigarettes has gone up and is more enforced at stores.

The only people I know who smoke now are over 50.

My daughter is 29, I don’t think any of her friends smoke. Didn’t see many student smoke at her university either.

i think its still common, i see people smoking all the time

• JASON

55 minutes and still no replies? I really don't know, I've never felt the urge to smoke, and never understood anyone elses urge to.