Why is alcohol more accepted in society than chewing tobacco? ?

• Jim

When you drink alcohol you dont have to spit any of it out like you do with chewing tobacco, which also stains your teeth.

• Lisa A

People don't spit alcohol on the street.

Because spitting out tobacco juice is just gross. Respectable people don't want to see that.

It’s foreign to a lot of people who find the wad in the cheek or lower lip, stained teeth, and commonly used “spit bottle” revolting, where alcohol is simply frowned upon by teetotalers 

I'm in the UK and I've never come across anyone chewing tobacco (I've only ever seen it on TV).

I get the idea that chewing tobacco involves spitting which is never socially acceptable. Also, most people drink alcohol but few people chew tobacco - as I said, I've never come across anyone doing it.

• Amy

Because chewing tobacco involves spitting out nasty, smelly tobacco juice.  

• kswck2

Because you don't usually Spit alcohol 

• CB

Because when I drink I don't spit shitAll over the place or in a disgusting cup. 

My teeth don't look like I have been eatingshit

My breath doesn't smell like someone shitAchristmas tree.

• Janet

When people chew tobacco, they do not swallow their saliva. And the chewing creates a lot of saliva .. which is then spit out, usually into a container just FOR that called a "spitoon".

Gross. Unsanitary too, possible spreading of germs..

When you drink alcohol, the only time it leaves your mouth is when you are vomitting.

• Dze

its not .. you will get alot less looks or even law enforcement involvement taking a chew in public than if your walking around with a beer at the mall lol ...