What do I do about neighbours who DIY/hammer past 10.30pm?

I have to get up at 3.15am each morning as I work very early hours.  My neighbours have been working from home, but I've had to work throughout lock-down as I'm a key-worker.  They’re DIY enthusiasts and our walls are paper-thin. We live in terraced property. Our council says no work of this kind should be undertaken after 6pm weekdays. I don’t want to fall out with my neighbours, but I don’t know what to do if this occurs another night. Any suggestions please?

If I write a note, how can I word it politely?

They're the end terrace and I'm next to them....so it's only me who can hear them.

Speak with them about it, politely. Tell them your situation. Request that they conclude their work earlier in the evening. If they refuse, THEN contact the council and report them anonymously. If the walls are as paper-thin as you say, other people are hearing it also.

• J

Try speaking to the neighbors during the day when you’re not mad. Just tell them that you have to get up early for work, and their home improvement projects are loud and keeping you awake. Don’t throw the law in their face, just ask if they can keep the noise down after 9 or whatever time you go to sleep. 

Kindly and politely state that one of the reasons why you chose this place to live is because of the 6pm rule, as your workday begins just after 3am. State that their construction noise keeps you awake and with so many sleepless nights, it is unacceptable to lead your life without sufficient sleep.

Because they hammer away until 10:30 pm, they are known to be selfish and inconsiderate people, so do not be surprised if they carry on with their construction hours. If that be the case  go back to them  repeat yourself, and add that if this noise does not stop today, you will have no other choice but to contact council because they will enforce the rules.

The issue now is that they will know how important your sleep hours are  so if they are true assaholics  they will cause other noise to pester you. So be kind to them...even though they do not deserve it!

I have learned that when making a request of this nature, make it all about you and how the noise that time of night effects you. If you verbally attack them, it will not go well.

Edit...I would not write a note because notes of this nature can be taken the wrong way and it is a bit cowardly. Face them with facts and be kind.

our council? sounds as if the neighorhood is run by a homeowners association. if they already know, just add your name to the list and let them handle it. 

i would talk to them about it and if they wont listen call the police

You need to go speak with your neighbors and simply tell them that you'd greatly appreciate it if they would stop their DIY efforts by whatever time you think is reasonable because it is keeping you awake.  

You can also check to see if there are any noice curfews for your area.

No one is going to know how far the sound travels or if that sound is annoying, let alone guess that their neighbor gets up at 3 AM.  You can only be irritated at yourself if you are unwilling to talk to your neighbors. 

The very first thing I would do is speak to the local council office, explain the situation, and check that 6 pm is indeed the deadline.

Then I would go and knock on the neighbours' door and speak to them face to face. I know nobody enjoys having this kind of conversation, but it's much better than calling the police and having your neighbours hate you for ever because you didn't speak to them first and give them the chance to change their ways.

By the way, the fact that you have to get up so early is really nothing to do with this. I mean, it's really annoying for you, but the point is, they shouldn't be making any loud noise at all by 10.30. But if it's easier for you to focus on it, fine. Be pleasant and polite, don't be aggressive or make any threats; just focus on the fact that it really disturbs you. It's possible they don't know about the 6 pm curfew, so introduce that gently.

Most reasonable people will be sorry and apologetic, and promise to keep the noise down from then on.But if they're at all unpleasant, turn the matter over to the council and/or the police.

Record the noise,and contact your local council.

If your neighbors are flouting council law, contact the authorities and make them aware of the situation.  You can do so anonymously if this suits you.

I'd let one night go, but if it happens again, you should write a polite note telling them to lay off.