Taking a step down in your career due to covid?

So my current company has us furloughed. It was supposed to be temporary but since this happened in late March I am antsy to get employment somewhere because it's been so long and unemployment insurance will not last forever.

Be that as it may, my current employer is still advising us that the game plan is to still bring us all back eventually. There's no guarantee though.

So I have been applying to various companies and I applied to a front desk (administrative assistant) position at a physical therapy location. ( I do have some healthcare administrative experience). However I also have a bachelor's degree. I think I might get offered the front desk position before my current employer has confirmed anything.

The position at the front desk will be offering $16.50 per hour. That's a very agreeable rate for a moderately easy position. It's also one that is likely to NOT go away which is what I want after witnessing how my current company shut down.

I want to know what this be taking a step back in my career? Is this something a future employer might question?

Hi Pearl, I actually did apply to another job while I was waiting. That's what my question is about.

Right now, employment opportunities are limited so consider all your options so you can garner an income and feel productive.  You can continue to look in your chosen field, but given employment is such an unknown in this current social crisis, be open to what comes along.

i would take another job if you can

maybe you should get another job while youre waiting