Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

My mother's great aunt (1910–2002) used the N word in front of my cousin and I. Does this make her a racist or just old school?

My mother talks like it was just being old school. I found it racist. It was in 1999 as I only met this woman 3 times. The riots got me thinking about it and how my parents excused it. It is not that they think racism is okay but talked like this woman simply is old school and from Georgia so dismissed it.

If someone as old as this woman uses that word is it racist rather then just old school? She said it in a critical way but not mad. I wasn't really listening as she was talking to adults and then heard the word and was shocked. My cousin and I both made awkward smiles not knowing what to say. Apparently my Mom's grandmother, also from Georgia, used the word also but I did not know her (she died when I was a toddler).

She was a bigot obviously. 

Favorite Answer

An older generation of men and women would use this word more freely, compared to today.  The inference and hurt is no less, but it was simply more socially acceptable.  Different era, different time.

I know it's way, way too late for this, but I do wish people realised that in the days when that word was commonly used, it was often merely a way of saying 'a black person', without ANY intention of insulting anyone.It was no different from saying "The French" or "People who live in Delaware" or whatever; a simple descriptor of the particular group of people that you were talking about.

Of course there were, and are, people who use the word deliberately to offend and insult. But you really must not take on that knee-jerk reaction  of "OMG she used the 'N' word, she must be a vile filthy racist". It simply is not always true.  

• g

Still not right, but things were different then.

i think its racist too