Can grief, fear, and/or guilt cause chest and neck pain?

I broke up with my ex back in March, which is when I first noticed this pain from what I believe to be anxiety & guilt over the reasons of the breakup. But when we worked it out & decided to stay friends, these sensations of pain dissipated. When we decided to part ways for good on May 1, though, these painful sensations in my chest returned and haven't left. Ever since then, my chest has hurt and burned. Pain killer doesn't really help, my body hurts basically 24/7, and I can't sleep restfully every night. When my chest doesn't hurt, the pain radiates up into my neck;sometimes it feels like a weight is sitting on my chest.  It's mostly on the left side of my body. I have researched it, and anxiety can cause really intense heartburn symptoms. Is there an over-the -counter heartburn medicine that can counter this? I've also tried Tums and Rolaids, and those don't help either. It has taken so much in me not to text my ex and say, "My body can't handle you not being in my life. My body literally hurts bc I know you're gone." I'm so embarrassed bc I should be able to process this without my body aching, but it won't go away. I'm finding it impossible to move on because my body hurts so much, and as a result, I'm constantly thinking about him. I don't know what to do. I don't know if I should see a therapist or a doctor or both? I do have a doctor's appointment scheduled, but it's not until July 1. 

Even when it feels like the heartburn or gas in my chest has passed, my chest still hurts and burns (right above my left breast.)

There are no answers yet.
Be the first to answer this question.