Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 month ago

Based on what we know about pubertal timing, when will Melissa experience menarche?

Melissa is an adolescent girl who lives in a midwestern city. Her parents were divorced when she was very young. Melissa has moved several times and now lives with her mother and her mother's new boyfriend. Based on what we know about pubertal timing, when will Melissa experience menarche?

A.) at about the same time as the average girl in the United States

B.) Melissa could go through puberty at any point—the factors she experienced do not affect menarche.

C.) early as compared to other girls

D.) late as compared to other girls

3 days ago

When "Melissa" starts her periods depends upon other factors besides the ones you mention. Her age, her nutritional levels, the time of year when she was born, and most important of all, her mother's age at first menstruation- THESE are the factors which really drive the start of menstruation, not just simply relocation or a divorce in the family. My parents divorced when I was just 8 years old, but I didn't start my menstrual cycle until I was 16 and a half. I matured late- but I also found out that one of my grandmothers matured late as well, and that the tendency towards late maturation ran in my family.

is this a hw question? its b 

You have provided very little details here.

How old is she? What ethnicity is she? Genetics? (Ie when her mother started puberty) etc.

The answer is B.