Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 weeks ago

Can my girlfriend kick me out of our rental?

We rented a place together. She has four children from her previous marriage. We split up and she wants to kick me out. The bills are in her name, but I’ve put alot of money into this rental as well. The person that rented to us has no contract with us. Can she kick me out?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • ron h
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Try to find a way to get out.  Call the LL and tell them that you've split up and how /what would it take to terminate your lease and get her on one by herself.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • R P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You are on a month to month rental agreement. As long as both of you were approved for residency by the landlord, your former GF cannot kick you out. Only the landlord can do that & he has to follow the laws for your state.

• ...Show all comments
    • R P
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

The OP said they have no contract with the landlord.  That means he & his GF are on a month to month rental agreement

• 4 weeks ago

She would have to go to the landlord and ask them to kick you out. However, she has 4 kids so its very difficult for her to move. You are broken up so it would be very uncomfortable for you to stay there. If this were me, I'd simply clear out as soon as I could.  

You could tell her you will need, however long, to find a new place (if you don't have somewhere else to stay), but then get out.  You are not wanted there, and do you really want to be there?

Actually, this is a pretty good situation to be in, if you can get another place to stay.  Its a clean break and you probably won't be on the hook for anything (any additional rent or whatever) once you go. Luck you 2 don't have a lease that's still running or you might have to stay until that ran out.

• 4 weeks ago

She's not the landlord; she can't kick you out. 

You're a joint tenant; you have equal rights. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Of course she can kick you out if she wants to. She's paying bills, she's the primary resident. Even a verbal agreement is a contract, so the lack of a lease is not germane to this. If you broke up, you should leave. 

• ...Show all comments
    • ron h
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

In real estate, contracts are like the bible.  They say what they say.  The end.

• 4 weeks ago

She can't kick you out if you are both on the lease.  However, you split up so one of you will have to leave.  She has decided that she wants to stay.  If you want to stay, the easiest way to get rid of her would be if you know she will not qualify financially to live there by herself.  If you don't think she will and you know you will qualify, then go and talk to the landlord.  He can renew the lease with you and not her. If both of you qualify, then you are going to have to come to an agreement with her.  Who actually "found" the apartment?  Who has more rights to it?  Paying your share throughout does not give you more rights.  What you paid and what she paid is gone.  It's rent & utilities.  If you think you have more rights than she does and she refuses to leave, then you are going to have to make it very uncomfortable for her to live there, so that she will want to leave. 

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • 4 weeks ago

Why would you want to stay?  

• 4 weeks ago

Sounds like you both rented the place regardless of whether you have a contract (lease) with your names on it.  From that standpoint, you have as much rights to it as she does.

If the place was rented to just her, you've still established residency there.  You can't simply be kicked out.

• 4 weeks ago

No, she cannot, he is not the landlord.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Let her raise them on her own. Find a new GF.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.