I cooked chicken on the best before date. Now 3 days later I’ve reheated it from it being stored in the fridge. Is this safe? I heated it?

For a few mins in the saucepan. But it went out of date on the 31st of may (cooked on that date) and reheated today. Is that safe?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes. If it doesn't smell or taste funky it's safe. The "best before" is about when you cook it when it comes to meat. When you've cooked it it should hold for up to a week in the fridge and of course even longer if your freeze it.

Just make sure to look at it, use your smell and taste buds to determine if it's well.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Yes, and because you’d cooked it, it’s fine. 

• 1 month ago

of course its safe...That date became null and void the minute you cooked the chicken.

• 1 month ago

Of course it is safe as long as you cooked it and stored it properly.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

First, I'm surprised that meat would have a best before date, I'd have expected a use by date.

That date doesn't matter though because you cooked it. If it was refrigerated I would expect it to be safe to eat after three days - check it and see. 

It's not going to be very fresh though and it's going to be horrible after re-heating it!

• Of course. Also take a second what they mean by “Best before X” date also. While it’s not the best after, it’s still safe to eat meat as long as it doesn’t discolor, get slimy, smell sour, grow mold, etc. in any way

• Amy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Once it's cooked that raw meat date is meaningless.  Once cooked chicken will last 7-10 days in the fridge.  

If you have meat getting close to that sell by date you just need to either freeze or cook the meat to make it stay good

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Best By date is for UNcooked chicken. You are fine. 

• The best buy date became insignificant once you cooked the chicken. You've essentially reset everything to zero.

3 days with properly refrigerated cooked chicken is fine.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.