Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

I recently moved in with my adult son and his family and he has been threatening me?

After falling ill my adult son said I could live with him until I am better as it is too much of a strain on his mum. He give me a patch in the garden to be my allotment and his cat has set out on destroying it. I found it had went to the toilet in my vegetable box and I disciplined it. My son told me he would break my other leg if I hit his cat again and said the next time he wouldn't hesitate on punching me so be warned. I told him it was abusive and he exclaimed it's what cats do, the next time to tell him and he will clean up.

• J

If you hit my cat, I’d hit you without a warning. You don’t have the right to hit your sons cat just because he pooped in “your” garden. Cats poop in the dirt. If you don’t like it, you can go back and live at home. You are not a victim, and your son isn’t threatening you. He warned you not to hit his cat again. He is not being abusive. You were abusive to his pet, and he was just letting you know how serious he was when he said not to hit his cat. 

If you're capable of managing a garden you're probably capable of taking care of yourself at home. So tell sonny that you're moving back in with your partner and then make good on not pretending to be an invalid so she'll take care of you. 

• Ludwig

Good.   You must not hit the cat.  That was unkind.

Your son could've told you to move out after hitting his cat, but he didn't. I suggest either listen to your son or move out.

If you feel threatened by you son's behavior, consider moving either back home or with other family/friends (if possible).  If you are comfortable doing so, have a conversation with your son and together, set some boundaries between you so there is a better understanding of this new cohabitation.  Ultimately, your wellbeing is essential.

• Jerry

Never hit a cat. It's worse than useless. Now the cat will have it in for you. You may have to move, seriously. Keep the door to your room closed. 

If you have hit his cat you should be reported for animal abuse.  Your son has offered to clear up if it does it again: at least let him try.

PS This is not by any stretch of the imagination an Etiquette question. Click on EDIT and move it to 'Family and Relationships'.

There is a very simple way to keep cats off of your garden beds. It doesn't harm the cats, the soil or the plants. Buy a large container of ground white pepper and sprinkle pepper liberally over the soil. Cats always scratch the soil when doing their business and they soon learn that if they do it in your patch, they get pepper up their noses and they don't like it. They will go elsewhere. You don't need to tell your son what you are doing so things will be peaceful. Just re-sprinkle the pepper after rain. It  helps keep snails off the vegies too.