Is it legal to change your name?

Hello, my name is Chioma and I kinda want to change my name to Kinsley. The reason for this is because I feel more comfortable with the name Kinsley than Chioma. My name is alright but I just want to find a more comfortable and better name for me. I like the name Kinsley more than my name. I haven’t told my parents this but soon I will. So is it actually possible to change your name?

Yes, you can legally change your name once you turn 18 (but you might want to wait until you finish high school). Just do a search on Google: "How to legally change your name in ____________________ (the name of your state). It will cost some money to file the paperwork. 

Kinsley is a cute name!

Yes, it is if you're an adult. As a minor, it would take the cooperation of your parents. To do it legally, you have to petition the court where you live. You can find the forms and instructions on-line on your state's court system website. For example, for Colorado at: https://www.courts.state.co.us/Self_Help/namechang...

< Is it legal to change your name? >

Depends where you live, the world is a big place with different laws.  in many places, it is legal.  More information = better answers.

In the U.S. you may legally change your name as long as it is not for the purpose of fraud.  Your parents can file paperwork on your behalf if you are a minor.  If they will not do so, you have to wate until you are 18 and a legal adult. 

Changing your first name is comparatively simple. But changing your surname requires legal force -- done through the court system.

• Susie

Yes. Maybe not till you’re 18.  But I think all you need to do, is start using it on everything. That may have changed. When you turn 18 make sure you change all official documents to show your new chosen name. Last name change needs to go through the court.