What are the laws in the various riot states concerning an owners right to protect his property. When can he shoot and is it a crime?

I think the law is, if the guy touches your window, you can shoot through the window and kill him. No crime. Same if he tries to kick in your door. So, where is the guy with the shotgun defending his store? You would think that if he started shooting, the cops would get off their butts and come and help.

Here in California you cannot use lethal force to protect property. You have to wait until the other person is actually trying to kill you. 

• Edwena

That sounds like the bad guy has the advantage and more likely will win.  You would think that it would start at the threat level and not the action level. But, liberals are more likely to accept intimidation than conservatives.

Your "thinking" about the law is interesting and incorrect in every State I know.  Which State(s) are you referencing?  It's force against like force.  You can certainly hold a person at gunpoint while waiting for the Police.  In MY State you can't just shoot.  Exception?  Person is armed and threatens to kill you.

It "might be correct" is even more confusing.  WHICH STATES ARE YOU REFERENCING, WHICH STATE'S LAWS?

Your theories about law and law enforcement are always amusing.  This "question" even topped what you've posted before.

No experience, I gather?

• Edwena

one can use deadly force not just to protect a person, but also to protect personal property, including to “retrieve stolen property at night,” during “criminal mischief in the nighttime” and even to prevent someone who is fleeing immediately after a theft during the night or a burglary or robbery,

Good News!  The state has a place for you to live without windows.

• linkus86

No I know the laws of my state and many others, but I would never try to suggest an alternative to truth in an effort to teach.  That is irresponsible and directly contradicts your admitted intended goals.  I think you lack experience and knowledge to even attempt to teach others.

"I think the law is, if the guy touches your window, you can shoot through the window and kill him." - and you would be wrong.

• Edwena

It might be correct in those states where they have the looting and burning.  That is why they are having the looting and burning.

• Bill

better get you facts straight before you start shooting. Touching a window ( window shopping) is not illegal and if you shoot through the glass, it is murder ,plain and simple . Secondly if you start shooting , be prepared to get shot, because the protestors just may be armed and will defend themselves against a rampant white murderer. No material object is worth a life and no idiot with a gun who starts a shooting war should be allowed to live

• Edwena

You obviously don't know the fine art of hunting.  It is all about ambushing the deer or the duck.