Garage tripping breaker?

Every so often my garage door trips the breaker. This morning I went to open it and it tripped the breaker every time I clicked it to open the door. Then when I got home from work I clicked it and the garage door opened without issue. Could this be a bad breaker?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Droopy
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Could be but also the wire connections can loosen over time causeing arcing which can trip the breaker.   It also coukd be the motor is going bad.  Regardless eventually the breaker isn't going to reset then your stuck in garage or outside garage.  

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

might be, yes.  might also be damp is getting into the wiring somewhere -- after it dries out, works fine

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It is working now.  You fix when the garage door always trips.  Check the door for binding.

• 4 weeks ago

It could indeed be. Best way to check is to buy and install a new breaker. If that doesn't fix it then you have a different problem.

• ...Show all comments
    • don_sv_az
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

I would connect the garage door opener to another breaker to test. Hooking another circuit to the possibly bad breaker won't prove much unless there is a motor on the other circuit..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.