Nance asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

I took my dog this morning to the vet after I had seen him looking lethargic and vomiting a few times I was told he looked very pale?

by the vet and she was going to do a small radiograph on him after that was done I was told he had very low platelets but not dangerously low also she said she couldn’t tell or figure out why he had them very low and asked if he had had a tick on him or something I said no she then prescribed prednisone and Antibotics (Doxycyline) and then to keep an eye on him and bring him back in a week.Also was told if he gets sicker in a day or two to rush him back that is all I was told. Does anyone know what could have caused this or what could have been done to prevent it?I would just like second opinion in the meantime.

• You said a radiograph and labwork were done, but then in a comment you said no diagnostics were done.

Which is it? Labwork and radiographs ARE diagnostics!

"As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" (Proverbs 26:11)!

Nine times out of ten, a dog will vomit because of what he has eaten. Low platelets could mean a dozen different things--anemia, poison, or ticks. Without knowing where you live, or what your situation is, it's impossible to give you anymore opinion than that. Trust your vet. 

There are no Vets on this site.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lethargic+and+vomi...

This is just from one search, you may need to do some more to get more information.

• Ocimom

Sounds like Lyme disease which would come from a tick.  You may not have spotted the tick on your dog but that doesn't mean he would not have one!

If you don't trust/believe Vet #1, find Vet #2 before you take advice from strangers on the Internet.

• PR

This doesn't sound like a lot to go on from the vet. How do his gums look? Are they nice and pink, or dull, lighter pink, or other color. I would be concerned that the vet doesn't know why the dog has low platelets and sounds like they are guessing. 

Call your vet and ask what the prednisone is for, and what the Doxycycline is for. Ask what she is considering might be happening?

Maybe, another vet would be better to consult with, if you don't get a reasonable answer. You should also have a copy of the blood work from the vet. That would tell a lot, and normally a vet can tell by other organ function, etc. The other vet would be your second opinion. 

I would not go the weekend without either the dog perking up/ no vomiting / or visiting a different vet. Emergency vet visits are a lot more expensive than a second opinion.

• Maxi

If there are insufficient numbers of platelets present, the blood is not able to quickly form a normal clot. In a condition called immune mediated thrombocytopenia, the dog's own immune system attacks and destroys these platelets.

Lymphoma. Decreased platelet production. Extreme blood loss due to a hemorrhage. Increased destruction of platelets in the body (infectious agents are the most common cause of this problem)... and  ticks of course are an obvious one

This gives you more information http://vhc.missouri.edu/small-animal-hospital/smal...

A second opinion without an actual exam and review of diagnostics is basically worthless. How old is he? Is he current on vaccines? Were any diagnostics recommended, but not done due to cost or other concerns?

• Nance1 month agoReport

No there were no diagnostics done nor recommended.He is 12 yrs old and yes he is current on vaccines.