Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEntertaining · 2 months ago

how safe is cleaning menus in a restaurant with COVID going around?

As long as you don't lick them or smell them and also practice reasonable safety then there shouldn't be a problem.

Even prior to Covid, I have never really liked touching menus or having them touch my table setting. And, mind you, I am not even a germophobic person. So, I place my order, hand the menu to the server then go wash my hands.

I see grocery store employees sanitizing carts, so I would hope that restaurants are sanitizing their menus. 

UPDATE: I dined in an open air restaurant and they used disposable copies for their menu. And, they had a QR scan to view the menu on your phone.

I think some of the changes Covid is forcing upon us are some good ideas that may last post Covid. Menus carry a host of germs and bacteria that are placed on your table and often right over your plate. Ewwww

If you're using a sanitizer and gloves, it;s safe.

So you mean “safe” to the person doing the cleaning?

If they're sensible there should be no problem. Obviously they shouldn't tough the menu and then touch their face and should wash their hands afterwards. They should just follow the normal precautions.

• geezer

Touching something with COVID on it isn't the problem.

You DON'T get infected by the virus ''through the skin of your hands''.

The danger is if you then touch your face, close to your mouth or nose, without washing your hands first.

Gloves help .. but you must take the glove off before you touch your face, and still wash your hands .. because you've touched the glove with your hand !

You don't need a mask to clean menus .. masks are protect other people from you

not to protect you from cleaning things.

Wear a mask and gloves while doing it, don't touch your face, ever, and as soon as possible, wash your hands with soap and hot water.

not safe at all.  you know some staff will just skim over with a dirty rag and some will just say they did it.  However, as mentioned, many restaurants are now doing disposable menus and online menus you access on your phone.  

Well I think most places are just giving out disposable paper menus, so you should be good on that part. 

If they clean them properly then it would be fine. However, menu cleaning in most places is left of to servers who in my experience don't care that much about doing it. They may wipe it off so it doesn't look disgusting but it is not necessarily sanitized. That being said, the risk is relatively low in catching anything from the menu (but not zero) but restaurants in many places are required to provide disposable menus.

• kswck2

Restaurants SHOULD be presenting paper, throw away menus. A small price to pay to reopen.