Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEntertaining · 2 months ago

how safe is cleaning menus in a restaurant with COVID going around?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

As long as you don't lick them or smell them and also practice reasonable safety then there shouldn't be a problem.

• 2 months ago

Even prior to Covid, I have never really liked touching menus or having them touch my table setting. And, mind you, I am not even a germophobic person. So, I place my order, hand the menu to the server then go wash my hands.

I see grocery store employees sanitizing carts, so I would hope that restaurants are sanitizing their menus. 

UPDATE: I dined in an open air restaurant and they used disposable copies for their menu. And, they had a QR scan to view the menu on your phone.

I think some of the changes Covid is forcing upon us are some good ideas that may last post Covid. Menus carry a host of germs and bacteria that are placed on your table and often right over your plate. Ewwww

• 2 months ago

If you're using a sanitizer and gloves, it;s safe.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

So you mean “safe” to the person doing the cleaning?

If they're sensible there should be no problem. Obviously they shouldn't tough the menu and then touch their face and should wash their hands afterwards. They should just follow the normal precautions.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • geezer
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Touching something with COVID on it isn't the problem.

You DON'T get infected by the virus ''through the skin of your hands''.

The danger is if you then touch your face, close to your mouth or nose, without washing your hands first.

Gloves help .. but you must take the glove off before you touch your face, and still wash your hands .. because you've touched the glove with your hand !

You don't need a mask to clean menus .. masks are protect other people from you

not to protect you from cleaning things.

• 2 months ago

Wear a mask and gloves while doing it, don't touch your face, ever, and as soon as possible, wash your hands with soap and hot water.

• 2 months ago

not safe at all.  you know some staff will just skim over with a dirty rag and some will just say they did it.  However, as mentioned, many restaurants are now doing disposable menus and online menus you access on your phone.  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Well I think most places are just giving out disposable paper menus, so you should be good on that part. 

• 2 months ago

If they clean them properly then it would be fine. However, menu cleaning in most places is left of to servers who in my experience don't care that much about doing it. They may wipe it off so it doesn't look disgusting but it is not necessarily sanitized. That being said, the risk is relatively low in catching anything from the menu (but not zero) but restaurants in many places are required to provide disposable menus.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Restaurants SHOULD be presenting paper, throw away menus. A small price to pay to reopen. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.