Can an RV be re-plumbed with copper pipes?

I am considering buying an rv and I know that most of them are plumbed with pex or other plastic-based pipes. I have serious chemical sensitivities and do not want plastic piping. I understand the reason it is used- it is cheaper and better for traveling because it is lighter and flexible- but it is not an option. I don't intend to travel very far or frequently- it will be picked up and parked in one place. Am I correct that older RV's used to have copper piping? Would I be able to hire someone to re-do the plumbing in the house to copper pipes?

• 3 days ago

24 Hour Plumbing Professionals https://bitly.com/2ZgsEmj

• Mr. P

You could re-plumb it in copper by using push fittings. More expensive than soldered joints but possible DIY with just a small pipe cutter.

You may not need to replace everything anyway. Just fit a water container with a decent carbon water filter on it, and change it about twice a year.

You will probably have to replace all the upholstery if you are allergic to placticisers.

Pex is much better and is absolutely safe because it is used for drinking water. Copper is nasty, especially at the soldered joints. 

Also Pex is something you can do yourself very easily. Watch videos on Youtube, get a cutter and a crimper and away you go. Much cheaper too. 

• roger

You  can but that  will  not really  help.   The  fresh water holding  tank  would  be  plastic  and the  hose you use to  fill the tank  is  usually  rubber.   PEX is  polyethylene    like  pop  bottles  or  milk  jugs.   Fairly  harmless.

• elhigh

It can be done but I don't recommend it.

RV insulation isn't as effective as residential insulation, and the vehicle will often spend weeks at a time with no occupants in it at all.  As such, the entire vehicle can get pretty darned cold in winter, and any water left in the pipes could freeze and burst the pipes.

Have you already ascertained that your sensitivities include PEX plumbing?  If not, eliminate that as a possible irritant before proceeding with this plan.  In day to day life you're exposed to a lot of water that has been plumbed through plastic and may not even be aware of it.  PEX may be less of a threat to you than you know.  Refrigerator ice makers, fast food drink dispensers, etc. are usually plumbed with a lot of plastic.

It is physically possible. As the first answer stated, if you are sensitive to chemicals, the copper will be MORE of a problem than the plastic.

• Barry

I think you will find that copper pipework contaminates more than plastic. Especially as soldered joints can leach into the water. You could always install an efficient water filter for the whole system. This will eliminate any harmful contamination. Much cheaper than a re-plumb and more beneficial.