Was this a good answer ? ?

So I had an interview and my interviewer asked me when I'm available to start and I gave her am honest answer and told her whenever she wanta me and she said they'll hire within two to four weeks and I told her I'll be mostly free at the end of June because I'm goung to be visiting my parents at a different state and she said okay yeah that's understandable. Was this a good answer ? My parents told me I shouldn't have said that. 

First you said you’re available immediately (that’s what “whenever you want me” means), then you said you’re available at the end of the month.  Which is it?

• Scott

What do you want - a job or visit your parents? Obviously the job isn't your first  priority. Should have just said you'll be available when they need you.

Good in what way? Honesty is the correct approach. If you are/were unwilling or unable to cancel or postpose your visit, then you should had said that you wouldn't be available until after your return.  Employers don't provide vacation days to someone who's been employed a couple of weeks.  Given the timeline for hiring, you'd have be wise just to pick at date after you return and state that date.