Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Is this rude and should I confront them?

I went to KFC and ordered 16 piece family meal so I could give half of it to my brother's family. I thought it would be nice since they rarely go out due to the Coronavirus.

Well, his wife threw them away in the garbage. I know cause I went to throw something away in their garbage can and saw the KFC chicken in there.

So is this rude and should I confront them?

Yes and no. The reason I said yes is because they could have informed you that they wasn't able to eat the chicken and that would have save you the money...The reason I also say no is because I don't know what type of people they are but maybe they were scared to offend you?? I know I hate to make ppl feel offended... Also due to covid I dont accept any food from friends BUT I tell my friends thank you and I cant eat that due to me not eating out since the food is prep with people hands that could have covid and most restaurants dont wear gloves which is REQUIRED by law

There could be many acceptable reasons why someone does not want to eat fried chicken take-out food during the Covid pandemic, or not. 

I typically do not bring food to people unless I ask first.

You never know, maybe they had their dinner already planned. Perhaps they do not want to eat re-heated fried food. Maybe they are dieting.  Maybe this, maybe that and maybe the other thing. Perhaps they thought if they threw it away, it was better than refusing the offer. Maybe they tried it and did not like it.

Whatever....next time ask if they want xyz food. 

I would not be offended and no, I do not think they were rude.

If I were you, I'd pick those wings from the garbage can and eat them right away

Did you ask them why?  Was it not wanted? Do they not like chicken? Is there some other issue? The only way you'll know if they were being rude or just careful, or were otherwise unhappy is if you ask. Don't CONFRONT--ask. As if you did something that was not pleasing or welcomed, and why. Then if you get an answer, you'll know. And you'll know not to do it again. 

• susan

Technically it wasn't rude unless she sent you to the trash can on purpose for you to see it there. Your gift wasn't rude either unless you know they are vegetarians or something.

However, I would advise you not to bring them food in the future. I can believe you meant well, and maybe they also believe you meant well, but evidently their household has dietary restrictions that your gift does not fit with. Better to just let them handle their own food choices in that case.

• 'They're rapists ... some, I assume, are good people' Trump

No it isn't rude you surprised them with food, evidently unwanted

i dont see anything wrong with it that was nice of you ! some find for them selfs

and feel that if something is given to them they get upset like they could do it them selfs

and not want any one to be the giver of food , no dont just dont get into a fight now with everything going on , i know its hurtful but you have to move forward dont let it get to you 

Do NOT, for your own benefit, give them anything else. They're stupid greedy, ungrateful cows.

• L

Once you give someone something - it's none of your business what they do with it.  Just don't buy them anything anymore.

Ultimately, only you know how this behavior has impacted you so if necessary, have a conversation with your sister-in-law and get clarification as to why she engaged in this manner.  Be open to what she may tell you.  Perhaps your brother's family do not eat KFC, perhaps they are specific dietary needs, perhaps there was fear of Coronavirus, perhaps you and your sister-in-law do not have a smooth relationship.  You decide how much emotional attention you want to give this matter and act accordingly.