What is the solution to the policing problem we have across the nation?

Should we raise standards and qualifications for police officers? I mean a 4 year college degree requirement would do good, right? What about mental health evaluations, screenings? Mandatory and extensive for entry and regularly maintained also like once every 6 months. 

I think we need to start by letting go of old cops with histories of anger and racist tendencies on their record. I think we should reward good and new cops who call out and report racist behavior from their fellow officers. 

Any other ideas? Suggestions?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In most cities just redoing the union contracts to eliminate things like qualified immunity would probably be sufficient. Although, yes, more mental health evaluations would be important too.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

The system is broken: politics, the family, health care, food system. We were in crisis before the coronavirus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rl_VqRghEQ

Youtube thumbnail

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i think they need to be careful who they hire

• 1 month ago

I suggest you rethink how to categorize your questions in this forum.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Did you read "Heart of Darkness" in high school?  The purest idealist can become the most bitter of cynics when immersed in an environment where the laws of nature outweigh the Rule of Law..

I'm all for greater accountability for police officers and ending the "blue wall of silence"... but understand that you're going to have to deal with police unions and be called a "hater of the working man"...

But there will be no real change until we uphold higher standards for the community as a whole. The truest call of the Civil Rights movement was for people to "Rise"...not demand that others lift them, or worse...elevate themselves falsely by holding themselves to lower standards generation after generation...

• KaleyK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

All great ideas but not feasible across the board.  For example, many big cities require a bachelor's degree.  But smaller communities cannot make that requirement or they will be without police.  And even "old" cops were born & raised after the Civil Rights movement.  Recognize that people make complaints about officers ALL the time, often about the most ridiculous things.  An officer with 20 years of service will have multiple complaints on his/her record.  Officers are humans and as such there will always be bad judgement, bad calls, and bad shoots. It's not so much a question of a "policing problem" but how many bad judgements are we willing to tolerate.

• KILLER1 month agoReport

No No No.. Kaley. We will tolerate zero misjudgments. That is the solution. Don't undermine the problem. There is clear abuse and a culture of sweeping **** under the rug. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.