Gorgia
Lv 4
Gorgia asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 month ago

What is the point in voting if your candidate does not win and neither does your ballot measure ?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Archer
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You don' vote then you should not *****!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

I SUSPECT YOU ARE A LIBERAL SO YOU WOULD BE DOING THE COUNTRY A BIG FAVOR BY NOT VOTING

• Daisy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I  have voted in every election (local, special, national, etc) since turning 18 in 1974. If I gave up on voting because my candidates and issues failed,then, I probably wouldn't be voting.

Voting is a privilege we should take seriously.   Even if your causes, fail- don't despair.  Try again the next time.  Eventually your causes and candidates will win. 

It also helps to campaign for those candidates and causes and get involved.   Be a part of the solution. Stop complaining and act. 

• 1 month ago

In AU the last elections we all expected the Labor party to win but Voting resulted in a landslide for the Liberals that is the advantage of Compulsory Voting

Compulsory Voting would stop all the abuse we got with Brexit 17 Million said Yes 16 million said no

and 14 Million never voted they never cared so would have the 14 Million have changed the Vote

we will never know until Voting is Compulsory in the UK  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What's the point of playing football if your team doesn't win?

See?  That makes no sense at all.  Why do you want to rely on everybody else to decide who wins for you?  Look, someone else COULD win if you and everyone who agrees with you gets off your arses and VOTES.  The point of voting is WE decide, and it is inevitable that some are going to be on the losing side.  And if the winner didn't win by much, he could easily lose next time.

• Tmess2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Even when a ballot issue loses, the exact vote matters.  If an idea gets 45% of the vote, that means that you only need to convince another 5%.  Perhaps, that means making minor changes to fix the problems noted by the opponents or finding some alternative that makes partial progress toward your ultimate goal (maybe a $13 minimum wage instead of a $15 minimum wage).  Perhaps that means making an outreach to communities that you were unable to reach this time to explain why your proposal is a good idea.  

As far as candidates, the same thing applies.  Maybe person X had personal qualities that cost them votes.  But if person X ran a close race, that tells other people who agree with person X that maybe one of them could win.  

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The knowledge that you at least tried instead of taking no action and just bitching about it. 

• Jeff D
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It sends a message for the next election:  that you're engaged and that your political 'needs' haven't been met.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.