Gorgia
Gorgia asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 month ago

How do you know who your write in canaidates are?

In many small towns and generally just rural areas sometimes write-in candidates are all there is. Other times you don't like the options that are there or they have held the same office for years and many times incumbents are the only ones who are written on the ballot. Another problem is lack of campaigning on their part I think some people just run because they can maybe even for shits and giggles to be able to brag that they where once a candidate for a office. Sometimes not even a Facebook group or putting some fliers up so how are you supposed to know who is out there. I would think it was important 

YOU CAN WRITE WHATEVER NAME TURNS YOU ON

• Daisy

It depends on the state.  In Ohio, where I live, write-ins have to register with the Secretary of State (the dept that runs elections in Ohio).   Then, they become 'official'.

The Secy of State includes a flyer with the ballots (absentee and the ballots used at the polls) that have the write-in candidates names on them.  

if someone wrote in a name on the ballot (a write-in candidate) and it this person/name was not registered with the Secretary of State, the vote will not count.

So, my advice is to check with the department that manages your state's elections to see what the policies/regulations are for write-in candidates. 

• Tmess2

It depends upon your state.  Most (but not all) states allow write-in votes, but each state has different rules for what counts as a valid write-in vote.  

In my state, the rules for write-in implicitly create two categories of write-ins.  If there is a filed "on the ballot" candidate, there is a second deadline (closely before the election) for filed "write-in" candidates.  Under that circumstance, votes for "unfiled" write-ins do not count.  If there is no filed "on the ballot" candidates, all write-in votes count.

For my state, you could check with the election authority to see who has filed as a write-in candidate but the deadline is close enough to the election that you might miss some late filers if you check too early.  But for the most part, the burden is on the write-in candidate to publicize that they are seeking votes as a write-in.  My hunch is that, in some races with no filed candidates, those seeking write-in votes are limiting their efforts to those whom they are certain will vote for them (close friends and family) and trying to keep the race off the radar so that somebody else does not get the same idea.  

• Clive

Clearly you don't understand how elections work.  If someone wants to run for office, they will put themselves on the ballot.  Write-ins are for YOU to choose someone else.  There is no such thing as write-in candidates.

Makes no sense to me either. Just put Mickey Mouse or Ben Dover or something like that

There are many small service districts in my county where a dozen votes might make you the winner but I have never seen one with no candidates.

• kswck2

Call your local town hall